2018 520 jackplate question

Happy Father's day all. Just bought a new 520 with a 250 hp Merc. Awesome piece of equipment After owning my 187 champion for 18 years. Question, getting some chine walk at top end. What is the optimal jack plate height to obtain max speed and performance. Thanks guys.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1009 View Post
    Happy Father's day all. Just bought a new 520 with a 250 hp Merc. Awesome piece of equipment After owning my 187 champion for 18 years. Question, getting some chine walk at top end. What is the optimal jack plate height to obtain max speed and performance. Thanks guys.
    Keep in mind all boats, engines boat weights and tackle play a big role in how a boat performs. Most will till you 2 3/4 below the pad, I have a hyd plate and although that setting works good for me I don't carry a ton of tackle with hardly any up front. When the water is upside down 2 3/4 doesn't work good for me, but when the water is a ripple and a little chop is when that setting works the best.

Which engine and which Jack Plate?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingwood 520 View Post
    Which engine and which Jack Plate?
    Though it’s by no means certain, I’m going to guess he has a Mercury 4 stroke, which again almost certainly came with a 3-blade Fury 23”. IMO which jack plate he’s running will make a smaller difference in setup, if any. These days I always start with 3 inches ptp on modern/newer bass boats. Adjustments from that point, if necessary, will be minimal.

P.S. Since he is already getting chine walk, it might be nice to know where his ptp is now.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio