Fortrex 80 problems

My Fortrex 80 would not come on with either the foot switch or the constant on after my first stop the other day. After checking the breaker and the batteries and without any test equipment i decided to head in. At the ramp I tried it one more time and it worked and I fished the rest of the day without any problems.

I know now it’s real hard to fix something that working but where should I start on checking the motor before the next trip. The motor is on a Phoenix 618 that’s two years old.

2. Member
    I would press the push button to see if you hear a clicking noise from the foot pedal. If you do and the motor does not run then It is probably the motor. Remove the prop loosen the bottom bolt on the motor. check for water intrusion. If you do not hear the clicking noise then I would check the reed switch under the push button. Make adjustment until the click is consistent. If you never hear the click you have either a bad reed switch or a bad board. If you are not sure what to do then bring to an ASC.

3. Member
    I would turn the footpedal upside down and remove the bottom plate, looking for corrosion on the wiring board connections.
    The Phoenix has a recess and if the footpedal has sat in water from a clogged drain, the connections will corrode.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    I will check those connections but I had those power connections off recently while rerouting my transducer cable while fighting an interference problem and they were clean. I am concerned about a bad spot in the armature also and will try to find that dead spot by moving the prop around. Thanks for your help.

5. Member
    Without any test equipment it'd be hard to see if a thermal(auto) reset breaker was tripped. Unless you know for a fact your trolling motor breakers at the battery have the manual reset button sticking out the end.

6. Member
    Well, if you use the Marinco 12/24 volt plug, you might consider taking the back off the male plug, and checking the screws inside to make sure they are tight. While you're there check for heated wiring.

If this motor employs a magnetic switch, see the sticky's above on how to adjust it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aj306 View Post
    I will check those connections but I had those power connections off recently while rerouting my transducer cable while fighting an interference problem and they were clean. I am concerned about a bad spot in the armature also and will try to find that dead spot by moving the prop around. Thanks for your help.
    Usually on an open armature, when the motor stops you can move it a quarter turn and it will start back and run good, til it lands on the open spot again -- which it will do.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    I found one of the nuts loose on the circuit breaker . Has not failed to come on since.