Thread: Xi5 shear pin

Xi5 shear pin

So....to start with. The why of the deal is my fault. I got some line around the prop while fishing Saturday. I took off the eliminator but, removed the line and put things back together. Apparently I must have inadvertently dropped the pin and not noticed it while reassembling because the prop did not spin. I could not check because of the eliminator nut. Again....my fault.

So today I decide to fix it and commence to drill a hole in the center of the eliminator nut to get to the shaft slot only to find out that when I got the hole drilled the end of the shaft has no slot. I ended up cutting off the prop which is also not an easy task as the internals are thick with lots of supports trying it all together.

So here is the question.

What did Motorguide expect you to do if you shear the pin. Even if I had the original prop nut on it and the pin sheared I would have no way to keep the shaft from turning to remove the nut. The only way I can see to replace the pin would be to do as I did and cut off the prop and then stick something in the pin hole to take the nut loose

Again.....the why it happened was 100% my fault but come on Motorguide.....there has to be some thought on how someone would replace a sheared pin without sacrificing a prop.

Or........

am am I just missing something here.

2. Member
    This is kinna begging the question... How did you get the eliminator nut tightened with no pin in place? But, as you discovered, there are few options for removal with no pin in place. I will say in 40 years worth of boating I have never sheared the pin on a trolling motor. Now the o’l tiller steer 9.9 Evinrudes. I could go through a box of 5 in one day.

3. Member
    That is a fair question.

SO..........I went back out and looked at the pile of debris from the cut up prop....the pin was there...... in two pieces.

It actually dinged up the face plate of the motor and was likely the squealing noise I heard when I first turned it back on. My only guess is that I did not have the prop lined up properly and when I cranked down the eliminator nut I broke it. When I tried to take the eliminator nut back off......after the squealing noise....It would not come off. The motor ran, the eliminator nut was spinning but the prop did not. I have no other explanation. Again...the why is 100% my fault, including the breaking of the pin.

The question remains....if the end of the motor shaft has no slot....how does one remove any nut (eliminator or otherwise) if the pin breaks without cutting the prop off. Notwithstanding that many will tell you they don't break. I guess my dad was right....I can break an anvil with a feather.

4. Member
    Only way to take prop off with sheared pin is to cut it off. It is what it is.

5. Member
    Soooo.... You won't be doing this on the water but..... In the first pic you can see the "channel" that the pin is supposed to fit in. Then on the front of the prop you can see that same channel shape. This gives you the location/orientation of the pin slot/shaft hole. Good information to have!

Now with that information of slot location and orientation you may be able to take a 3/8" drill bit, or larger, and drill a window into the side of the prop hub/housing. You would might have to drill a smaller pilot hole first. Of course you know this will never happen to you again - Right?

I reckon I've made some assumptions here. If you're prop doesn't have the pin slot channel locator on the front of the prop hub - this wouldn't work. Gotta be able to locate the pin position/orientation. Plus with this your only goal is to get something in the hole in the prop shaft to the it from turning. Might have to drill a hole in the other side as well so the broken pin can drop out or at least get outta the way.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 06-17-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Two things you can do.

Reverse the + - wires on motor so it runs reverse. Hold the eliminator nut and supply power to motor. Reverse spin will unscrew nut.

Cut slot in end of prop shaft for screw driver and hole in center of eliminator nut.

7. Member
    Thanks folks. I appreciate the input. I think I will cut my own slot in the end of the shaft in case this happens again. I also will order the Bob's Machine Shop prop nut that has the hole already drilled in it.

And Yupitsme......Thanks for pointing out the pin orientation slot on bot sides of the prop. I am convinced I was in such a hurry to get back to fishing I just slapped it together and broke the pin myself. Had enough friction to get the nut tight but when broken the pin pieces moved and dinged up the TM face (and made God's own noise for about 10 seconds) it no longer provided enough friction to unscrew the eliminator nut. As I said....100% self induced.

Thanks again

8. Member
    how about a powertool to unscrew the nut? impact gun on highspeed