Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar

Surf fishing in county of residence?

Did they change something? I always thought you could surf/jetty fish in the county you reside in, w/o a salt water license? But unless Im missing a clause somewhere, it looks like you need one now? Im in Volusia, looking to fish the surf/jetties in New Smyrna Beach.. Thanks for any info!

Nope , you need the license. And it is free which really boggles the mind.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep it is confusing but you've got to have one.

4. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Thanks fellas! Didn't see that it was free.. Was about to donate 17.00 more to the FWC "spray poison" fund..

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Thanks fellas! Didn't see that it was free.. Was about to donate 17.00 more to the FWC "spray poison" fund..
    I kept having different women tell me I could get a free license at BPS. I thought they meant freshwater and all the way they talk. So asked while at BPS. It was free only for the purpose you are asking about. They asked if I wanted it added to my license. I told them no thanks.

6. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I got it off the FWC site.. "Handling" fee was $1.80 and I just printed it out. May not use it, but nice to have if you get an itch.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I got it off the FWC site.. "Handling" fee was $1.80 and I just printed it out. May not use it, but nice to have if you get an itch.
    Whats real confusing is, mine expired last year and didn't renew because I hadn't been and didn't need it. I get mine on the FWC site, and Bassmeister came down for a visit and wanted to go to Talquin. I got online and got both fresh and salt licenses, I turned 66 in May and when I went to pay it came up and said both were free, and if I wanted to pay the fee it would be a donation. I didn't donate and got a freebie. I printed it out at home just incase FWC was out there. I guess I'm an old fart.

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I turned 66 in May and when I went to pay it came up and said both were free, and if I wanted to pay the fee it would be a donation. I didn't donate and got a freebie. I printed it out at home just incase FWC was out there. I guess I'm an old fart.
    Yea, I used to enjoy paying the FWC the fees, so they could do productive stuff like fixing/maintaining ramps, channel markers, etc.. But now they just put it toward more poison Im afraid.. And the ramps are getting ridiculous.. Can't even get a porta-jon at the Monroe ramp..

9. Banned
    Can't even get a porta-jon at the Monroe ramp..

That is when You wade out just above the waist line. This is when a 5'6 spinning rod comes in handy

10. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    That is when You wade out just above the waist line. This is when a 5'6 spinning rod comes in handy
    Im afraid to ask.. But feel I need to know! What's the spinning rod for?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Im afraid to ask.. But feel I need to know! What's the spinning rod for?

12. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar

13. Banned
    The Rod serves a 'dual purpose' role. Whilst You're defecating, it is usually best to go 'down the lake' from Your personal ecological niche, something about 'crapping where You eat', You hold the rod to make it appear that You're elbow deep in Angling for any would-be witnesses or FWC™ Staff looking for new spots to empty kegs of carcinogens, and if Your pants/shorts float away You use the rod to wrangle them. Don't ask how I know that 5'6 is the desired length...

Now if You ever wondered 'Why all this weird stuff happens here???...' Many 'experts' feel this is due to Folks evacuating in the local water supply but many didn't realize that the Withlacochee River flows North, one of 2 or 3 rivers in the world that does so.. Ergo...

14. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar

15. Member
    It is called the Saltwater Shoreline License. And yes it is Free but you have to have it and it is only available to Florida Residents.

At and after age 65 you no longer need a license for Fishing or Hunting, just show your driver license (florida Resident)