Thread: Subaru engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Subaru engine

What do think about there 4cyl turbo charged motor? I've been looking at the Ascent but I having a hard time with it just being a 4cyl, I know it has a turbo but i'm not sold on them yet.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

3. Member
    Don’t know about Subaru. But have an 2018 Honda Accord with the 2.0 turbo. Car is pretty fast with tons of low end toque

4. Banned
    I had a 2015 Forester XT with the 2.0. Had an issue with surging, because it’s tuned for 93 and only 91 is available here. Subaru stated it was operating as designed. Traded in and the next owner totaled it. It was a fast car.

5. Banned
    I work there and I was totally surprised by the get up and go of the Ascent the first time I took one around the lot. If it is reliable, I can't see needing any more motor for that vehicle.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    I had a 2015 Forester XT with the 2.0. Had an issue with surging, because it’s tuned for 93 and only 91 is available here. Subaru stated it was operating as designed. Traded in and the next owner totaled it. It was a fast car.
    That thing requires premium. Take a look at the Kia Telluride. Got a much better warranty and burns 87.

7. Member
    my wife's new Honda cr-v has a 1.5T and it FLIES!! runs on 87 or up octane but mileage seems the same with any octane so that is what we use and power is terrific on 87 also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    But it's a KIA

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    But it's a KIA
    Toyota has part ownership in Subaru. Hyundai owns Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Banned
    Subaru has so many owners that are crazy about their vehicles. They're still a tier II automobile company without the engineering budgets of some of the other Big Boys. I think of them more as snow country vehicles with their AWD. However we no longer see any snow thanks to Al Gore living in the Mid South and his global warming. We seldom see any Subaru's on the road, and their dealers are not in every city (as are Kia and Hyundi dealers.)

I just choose to stick with a dealership that provides service locally.

11. Member
    my wife's new Honda cr-v has a 1.5T and it FLIES!! runs on 87 or up octane but mileage seems the same with any octane so that is what we use and power is terrific on 87 also

subaru has been doing turbo for a long time
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    But it's a KIA
    Say what you want about Kia, but in the last several years they have been topping the list for initial quality and I know several people with over 200k with no issues.

I really like the Ascent, but really wished there was a v6 option.

13. Member
    I can't image how a 2.4 liter engine can be used to tow any thing but a light weight trailer. I have a 2015 Honda Pilot with a 3.5 liter, V6 engine. That thing can't pull the hat off your head. I could probably out run the Honda with my boat attached, on foot in a 40 yard dash. The Honda is a good reliable vehicle, but no good for towing.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

14. Member
    [QUOTE=TableRock Coral;10341925]I can't image how a 2.4 liter engine can be used to tow any thing but a light weight trailer. I have a 2015 Honda Pilot with a 3.5 liter, V6 engine. That thing can't pull the hat off your head. I could probably out run the Honda with my boat attached, on foot in a 40 yard dash. The Honda is a good reliable vehicle, but no good

You might want to Google 2.7 Ecoboost Fords..... just saying.......

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TableRock Coral View Post
    I can't image how a 2.4 liter engine can be used to tow any thing but a light weight trailer. I have a 2015 Honda Pilot with a 3.5 liter, V6 engine. That thing can't pull the hat off your head. I could probably out run the Honda with my boat attached, on foot in a 40 yard dash. The Honda is a good reliable vehicle, but no good for towing.
    Wife has a 2019 Honda passport. 3.5. it pulls my heavy ass Ranger fairly decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Subaru has so many owners that are crazy about their vehicles. They're still a tier II automobile company without the engineering budgets of some of the other Big Boys. I think of them more as snow country vehicles with their AWD. However we no longer see any snow thanks to Al Gore living in the Mid South and his global warming. We seldom see any Subaru's on the road, and their dealers are not in every city (as are Kia and Hyundi dealers.)

I just choose to stick with a dealership that provides service locally.

Say what you want about Subaru’s. Every GM vehicle I owned, Chevy, Pontiac. Buick, Olds, all had rust issues. As far as engineering goes, Subaru is so easy to service. Oil filter on the top side of the engine, one of my Subaru’s had an external filter ( like an oil filter) on the trans. The trans pan has a drain plug also.
    After 40 years of GM and Fords, I thought I would try something different. After 3 Subaru’s I wonder why GM and Ford can’t build a vehicle that is easy to work on, dependable, and affordable

17. Banned
    IDK but I just saw this the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Say what you want about Subaru’s. Every GM vehicle I owned, Chevy, Pontiac. Buick, Olds, all had rust issues. As far as engineering goes, Subaru is so easy to service. Oil filter on the top side of the engine, one of my Subaru’s had an external filter ( like an oil filter) on the trans. The trans pan has a drain plug also.
    After 40 years of GM and Fords, I thought I would try something different. After 3 Subaru’s I wonder why GM and Ford can’t build a vehicle that is easy to work on, dependable, and affordable
    These ^^^ are my exact feelings on our two Subaru's and why we switched from being life long GM buyers to Subaru fans. "Dog tested and dog approved!"
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Banned
    Surely he's not planning on towing the 20ft fiberglass rig to the lake with the Subaru.

I just drive the Subaru's around the lot and occasionally on the test track. I could notice a 6 cylinder when I would get in one.

I damn sure notice the turbo in the Ascent when I drive them. The first time I mashed it had me thinking damn this thing pulls hard for a Subaru Guess you'd just have to drive one for yourself.

20. Member
    A lot of the manufacturers are going to the 4 cylinder engines for mid size cars. Wifes 09 Mercedes has a 3 liter V6. Todays model has a 2 liter 4 cylinder with a turbo.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast