Why perform a restore defaults after software update.knownwe are just addressing

I have a helix 9 mega si g2n and was wondering why after we restore defaults before the software update we are suppose to restore defaults after a new update? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a new software update? I know we are just addressing the settings but it seems strange. Can someone explain the rational...thanks.

Because they said so .... and doing it has resolved a lot of problems people had after an update who didn't restore defaults after the update.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by backwash65 View Post
    I have a helix 9 mega si g2n and was wondering why after we restore defaults before the software update we are suppose to restore defaults after a new update? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a new software update? I know we are just addressing the settings but it seems strange. Can someone explain the rational...thanks.
    To decrease the possiblity of what is commonly known as a "latched fault" from interfering with normal functionality of your unit. By resetting to default before the update, the unit is in the best possible state to accept the software update smoothly; think of this like a known baseline from which the developers created the update. After performing the update, cashe (memory the processor uses to perform the software functions) may hold data that needs to be cleared post update. (This is not going to revert the unit to a prior software version.) So you preform another reset - which is quick - and now your unit is at a new baseline based on the new software. Then you can setup your unit however you wish.
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

4. Member
    Resetting to default before and after the update should be handled by the software update program, IMO. For all settings/functions that are not impacted by the update, a config file should be written and saved by the update software and those setting should be reset to the original configuration after the update. Instructions should indicate which settings have been left in the default configuration so users know where they must configure and possibly see new functions or setting available due to the update. Most complex applications do this as there may be 100s of configurations.

5. Member
    Thanks for these explanations. They make since and helped me understand. The suggestion to clarify this is right on. It’s strange that HB doesn’t instruct us to restore defaults after the update in its instructions. I got that tip right here from this valuable group of members. Thanks!9

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Resetting to default before and after the update should be handled by the software update program, IMO. For all settings/functions that are not impacted by the update, a config file should be written and saved by the update software and those setting should be reset to the original configuration after the update. Instructions should indicate which settings have been left in the default configuration so users know where they must configure and possibly see new functions or setting available due to the update. Most complex applications do this as there may be 100s of configurations.
    I don't agree or disagree with your opinion. However, IMO, the less steps the update needs to perform, the less likely there is for something to go wrong. Resetting a Helix is extremely quick (Solix is not).
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon