Oil tank not filling

So I've been having to manually bleed the tank on the boat a lot. Took it in. They had the boat for 3 weeks. They pressure checked the system and said it all checked out. They said the check valve went at 4psi, which they said is correct. The weakest part was the fill tube which they said they tightened. Also replaced a filter.

Still having the same issue and now my oil gauge doesn't work. Does anybody have any ideas?? I'm sick of them having my boat.

2015 or 2014 Mercury Pro XS 250hp
    Serial number 2B110521

Thank you!!
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

2. Member
    I had an issue with the oil tank not filling - replaced the check valve, inlet filter on bottom of tank - checked all hoses - turned out to be that the pickup in the remote tank was blocked. Cleaned it and now all is well

3. Member
    What "oil gauge" is not working? Do you have the optional remote tank float assy and fuel/oil/paddle harness?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Another thing. The pressure test can show good, but you can STILL have a leak in the oil-to-engine line inside the tank, which will let air into the line inside the tank, and slowly empty the on-engine reservoir. Leak can also be on the tank cap where the barbs go through the cap to connect to the external lines. A leak inside the cap will again introduce air into the line going to the engine.

This can be found, but the parts are pretty cheap (just the oil line and tank cap). Not much to replace. Leak can not be outside the tank, otherwise the pressure test would show a problem pretty quickly.

You need two things here. (1) solid pressure INSIDE the tank which is what is used to force oil from the remote tank up to the engine; (2) A solid oil supply from the remote tank pickup to the motor so that oil is forced to the engine tank reliably with no air bubbles in it which will slowly drain that tank.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    So I've been having to manually bleed the tank on the boat a lot. Took it in. They had the boat for 3 weeks. They pressure checked the system and said it all checked out. They said the check valve went at 4psi, which they said is correct. The weakest part was the fill tube which they said they tightened. Also replaced a filter.

Still having the same issue and now my oil gauge doesn't work. Does anybody have any ideas?? I'm sick of them having my boat.

2015 or 2014 Mercury Pro XS 250hp
    Serial number 2B110521

Thank you!!
    You should NEVER "manually bleed the tank on the boat", this doesn't make any sense. The tank in the boat should never be filled more than 80% with oil. You must leave air space in the "tank on the boat".

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You should NEVER "manually bleed the tank on the boat", this doesn't make any sense. The tank in the boat should never be filled more than 80% with oil. You must leave air space in the "tank on the boat".
    Sorry, very bad wording on my part, was in a hurry typing. Meant the tank on the engine! I have to bleed the tank on the engine to get it to actually fill up
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Another thing. The pressure test can show good, but you can STILL have a leak in the oil-to-engine line inside the tank, which will let air into the line inside the tank, and slowly empty the on-engine reservoir. Leak can also be on the tank cap where the barbs go through the cap to connect to the external lines. A leak inside the cap will again introduce air into the line going to the engine.

This can be found, but the parts are pretty cheap (just the oil line and tank cap). Not much to replace. Leak can not be outside the tank, otherwise the pressure test would show a problem pretty quickly.

You need two things here. (1) solid pressure INSIDE the tank which is what is used to force oil from the remote tank up to the engine; (2) A solid oil supply from the remote tank pickup to the motor so that oil is forced to the engine tank reliably with no air bubbles in it which will slowly drain that tank.
    That sounds like it's worth a shot! Thank you for the input!
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    What "oil gauge" is not working? Do you have the optional remote tank float assy and fuel/oil/paddle harness?
    The analog gauge in the dash. I don't have smartcraft gauges. Yes I have the remote fill
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the cap on the REMOTE tank that corresponds to the Sender. Make sure caps are tight. Make sure the cap is oriented so that the float points LENGTHWISE in the tank. See below image:

RemoteTank-Sender.jpg

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I didn't know the float assy and harness would work with analog gauges, learn something new every day.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax