Is Point 1 still needed for newer units?

I'm trying to keep my jon boat simple, so don't really want to install a NMEA network just to use a Point 1 antenna, but I like to fish open water and the spinning map drives me crazy when trying to hold on a spot. I have an HDS 7 Gen 2 touch on the back that I connect to an HDS 12 Gen 3 up front via ethernet. My question, do you still need the Point 1 on the newer Lowrance units that are out?

Yes!

3. Member
    Oh yes, it's a revenue maker!
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping I'd hear the Live or Carbon was faster at updating. Oh well.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping I'd hear the Live or Carbon was faster at updating. Oh well.
    It’s the heading sensor that makes all the difference.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Change your map Orientation to North up, then only your boat icon will turn.

7. Member
    The updating or refresh speed isn’t the issue. The GPS receiver is plenty accurate for finding spots. The heading sensor is what keeps the icon pointed toward a waypoint when the boat isn’t moving. Keeping that in an external GPS puck will never change since the puck has to be lined up with the centerline of the boat.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    [QUOTE=NoCAL;10342240]The updating or refresh speed isn’t the issue. The GPS receiver is plenty accurate for finding spots. The heading sensor is what keeps the icon pointed toward a waypoint when the boat isn’t moving. Keeping that in an external GPS puck will never change since the puck has to be lined up with the centerline of the boat.

NoCAL[/QUOTE
    Point one stops the arrow spin when point one is used for heading makes a huge difference as NoCal stated.
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by over slot View Post
    Change your map Orientation to North up, then only your boat icon will turn.
    This
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D