Question Power pro braid getting around my front hook

What is the best leader and what is best knot

Best.....probably the fg knot but I have not committed to learning it as it's tedious. Also the Alberto knot I tie is only a tick bigger, easier to tie, and has not let me down yet. The shin fukea knot is one to check out as well.

"best" leader is subjective. What technique, lb test, lure , cover, size fish in the particular body of water, imo will make the answer vary.
    Need more details?
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

3. Member
    It's your casting and/or wind getting them hung.

My thought is to rub either fly line dressing or some thick CA onto the last 1' of the braid to stiffen it. I haven't tried either idea, but don't use much stuff with treble hooks. Partly because of the excessive milfoil and partly because I think it's easier to get one hookpoint into the fish than three or six. Much easier to get one out of my hand, for sure!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    I really like Berkley 100% floro. Much more abrasion resistant than InvisX and just feels smoother. I use an Alberto knot and never had it fail. The FG is good but very tedious to tie.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Picking a stiffer braid might be helpful. I've generally found that the 8 strand braids tend to be a bit stiffer than the 4 strand varieties, so if you like Power Pro maybe consider using their Super Slick instead of original Power Pro. That could be an option that would take care of the problem just enough so you wouldn't require a leader.

Past that, what technique are you using it for? The one technique where I often had issues was with topwater walking baits and heard Brent Ehrler mention that he often uses a 17 or 20 lb mono leader on them. It definitely works. I use Maxima Ultragreen for that...that stuff is stiff and would be a nightmare spooled up, but it's crazy strong. Haven't really had issues otherwise aside from occasionally with jerkbaits, but I always fish a 10 or 12 lb fluoro leader with those these days.

I used to use an FG knot for my line-to-leader connections. Yes, it's the thinnest and it's probably also the strongest. But it's also the longest which I think counteracts its thin diameter when traveling through line guides, and it's the only knot I know of that can be improperly tied but not let you know until you've made a couple hundred casts with it. As others mentioned, it's also a pain to tie. I went exclusively to Shin Fukae's knot I've heard called the "Lazy Alberto." It's very easy to tie, very strong, and thinner than the Albright and Alberto since it only wraps around the doubled fluoro instead of the doubled fluoro and a strand of braid. I'm a big fan.

I tend to use Sunline Sniper for my leaders as it's really strong, easy to work with, and isn't crazy expensive. The only complaint I have is that its being easy to work with also means it's not the most abrasion resistant option out there, so I have gone to Shooter this year for applications where I'll be dragging something through rocks or something like that.

ECobb: Watch line diameters on the Berkley 100% fluoro...it's tougher than others because it's quite a bit thicker for a given pound test. Berkley 100% 8 lb is the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb, for example. That bigger diameter isn't always a bad thing - look at how many people love P-Line CXX for example - just something to be aware of. I do think it becomes less attractive when you compare its performance to other lines of the same diameter instead of comparing to lines of the same pound test, but that's just me.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    What lure are you using that is getting hung up? When my topwater or squarebills get the front hook wrapped I know I have to stop it with how I cast.

A sidearm cast works for me but the most important part is to thumb your spool and stop the lure before it hits the water. This makes the lure straighten out instead of tumble through the air, and thumbing the spool makes it land in the water with the rear hook furthest from you.

I use 40lb Sufix 832, but if I explained it correctly, this should help.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    alot of guys coat the braid with glue for a foot

9. Member
    Try putting a bobber stop on your line followed by a 1-1 1/2" piece of spinnerbait spacer tubing then tie your preferred knot to the bait. snug the tubing & stop up to the knot...works like a charm. Not my idea...I picked it up from a video on Bass U TV. JT Kenney was doing this on a prop bait around grass in Florida.