Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I got a 2000 triton tr21 with a 225 ox66 Yamaha for 12k last year.

Damn boat is amazing. My mechanic thinks my boat is the ideal boat.

Ox66 is supposed to be one of the best motors made.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ST8Bugging View Post
    Yamaha OX66 motors are great.
    Yep!
    Those carbed OX66 outboard are great motors!!! Had one on my Champion. Loved it! A little cold blooded, but awesome running!

3. Member
    Some of the old carb motors were great. But dont like the way they start in cold weather

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Yep!
    Those carbed OX66 outboard are great motors!!! Had one on my Champion. Loved it! A little cold blooded, but awesome running!
    Loved my OX66. She loved oil and gas but man did she purrr!
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

5. Member
    I have a 99 115 Johnson Faststrike..... not one complaint..... except maybe it isnt a 150

6. Member
    If I only had 10 k, I'd look for a 18' with a 150.

7. Member
    I had a nitro 882 with xr6 150. Bullet proof motor that would scream but just watch for soft transoms on the older boats. Other than that just be sure everything is in working order

8. Member
    This is probably a dumb question, but is the OX66 the "VMax?"

Thank you for all the replies.

9. Member
    Mercury EFI, bullet proof, extremely reliable, easy to do maintenance.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Mercury EFI, bullet proof, extremely reliable, easy to do maintenance.
    This ^ ^ ^

11. Member
    Yes the Yamaha ox66 is the vmax. I think they ran from 1998-2003. Like I said earlier, I bought my boat because of it having an ox66.

Ive got a heavy boat, I usually have lots of stuff in my boat and 2 other folks. 4 agm batteries, full gas tank, 40lbs of ice, I can still hit high 60s on a hot day..

Winter time, just me and my fishing stuff with a half tank of gas or less can hit high 70s. Costs probably 1k a year for "yearly maintenance".

One day on the water, with moderate driving I will use 15gallons of (ethanol free) gas, and 1/2-3/4 gal of oil. Normal day of fishing usually runs me about $70ish in boat gas and $40ish in truck gas.

If I'm on a very specific geographical pattern and need to run around a lot... Welp I'm probably looking at $100 boat fuel

12. Member
    Yamaha made several v max motors carb, ox 66 is efi and o2 sensor and the hpdi which is direct injection 3.3l big block hpdi's is the problem motors ox66 motors might be the best ever

13. Member
    Thank you all for your input on the outboards! Seems to be the EFI, OMC or Yamaha Carb is the way to go.

Currently considering a well-maintained 97 TR21 with an OMC 225. NADA puts the clean retail at around $9,200... but is the boat more valuable than that? The seller is asking more for it ($11k) and I understand NADA is just a guide.

Also, how do the older Tritons stack up to the competition such as Champion, Ranger, Cobra, Nitro, Skeeter, Stratos, etc.?

14. Member
    Had a 200 Ficht it blew up one season/ then I had a 224 HPDI and it blew up/ I now have a 200 EFI on a beautiful 1993 190DCX and it is amazing prior to that I owned 2- 190 Champs with the gas tanks forward and hated both/ had a 200 Champ it was gorgeous the HPDI was a nightmare. the EFI is salty on gas but I have had 0 problems with it for 4 years.
    good luck

15. Member
    Just sold my boat with a 2000 Merc 175 EFI today. Like it was previously said, those Merc EFI engines are bullet proof. They scream and are easy to do maintenance on them.

16. Member
    Carb motors are OK, but thirsty. Trick to carbs is run them often and use stabil (or equiv.) I run a 225 Merc EFI and it is almost grenade proof. Weak spot is steel reeds, but can be upgraded easily. I believe when all manufacturers start building high horsepower to weight we loose reliability. There are a few exceptions, but that is what I have seen in almost all production engines in my 44 years as a mechanic. Boat, car and truck, gas and diesel.

Just my opinion.

Redneck

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    If I only had 10 k, I'd look for a 18' with a 150.
    Yep what I would do. Find a Merc 150 XR6.

18. Member
    I wouldn't be scared to buy a ficht. Like said before, if it's lasted this long, it's a good one. Most of them popped within 100 hours. No issues out of mine, it's a 99 200 ficht. Runs great and it's fast.

19. Member
    Went with a 99 Astro that has a 225 Mercury EFI. I can deal with the fuel expense since I usually only run the outboard no more than two hours each outting.

Next question is whether to premix or not. It was a PITA on my 83 Black Max, trying to ensure the correct ratio and e.g. not pour oil all at once. Usually every gallon injected I'd pour X amount of oil but it's time consuming. Perhaps I should take my chances and hope the system keeps pushing oil. Unless anyone has any tricks for mixing oil & gas?

20. Member
    Honestly if you're boat works and runs fine keep it for a couple more years and keep saving!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast