2012 175 Pro XS Gear Housing Measurments

I have a 2012 Mercury Pro XS serial number 1B917726 with a jet pump installed on it in place of the prop lower unit. I would like to be able to switch between the jet pump and a prop lower unit without needing to install a jack-plate. I think with a Bay Manufacturing extension I should be able to swap the pump with a prop lower unit and not need to adjust the motor mounting height on the transom. What I need to know is the measurement from the top of the prop gear housing to the center-line of the prop shaft and what the typical prop diameter is for these 175 Pro XS's? I don't have a prop lower unit yet and don't want to spend any money without knowing if it will work first.

2. Member
    without micrometer 10 1/4 " if its set up right youll have to lower it a lot from a jet drive for adequate water psi
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    My motor is the XL and the Bay Kit will add another 5 inches. The mounting holes in the transom and motor will allow me to drop the motor an additional 2-3".

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    without micrometer 10 1/4 " if its set up right youll have to lower it a lot from a jet drive for adequate water psi

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a lot of hassle to be swapping back and forth- not only is there a housing extension, the water tube and shift shaft are also extended. Then the shift setup and adjustment should be checked.

As for props- there's really no "normal" prop for a 175 motor. Correct propeller is determined based on the boat, weight, hull displacement, hull type, performance goals, RPM's, and other factors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor