Banned

deep cranking rod

i use a 7'11" BPS crankin rod and usually throw 6xd's. i tend to lose a lot of fish, esp when they first jump. any suggestions on rods?

2. Member
    Dobyns 805 CB RM
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

There’s definitely better rods, but that should get the job done. Stock hooks? If so, swap them out for some triple grips. I use 1/0 size with great success.

4. Member
    I agree with bucksfan. Good hooks are crucial and very few baits come with them. The Mustad KVD triple grips are great hooks. You can also get away with upsizing if you use the short ones but I also believe when using bigger treble hooks you need some back bone to the rod to get them nice and buried. One thing that I found helps me is if I feel the fish is going to jump ill put the rod tip down or even in the water to help prevent it from happening in the first place.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

5. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I use stock hooks and even in braid lose very few with my Loomis cbr 906’s...

6. Member
    I like glass rods for deep diving crankbaits, the skeet reese rods work great

The rod you have should work
    i myself use a 805 and can’t remember ever
    loosing a fish.
    if the line is coming up, put the tip down
    in the water if needed. Don’t allow the fish to jump

I prefer a glass rod also.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Dobyns 805 CB RM
    It is a great rod.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Dobyns 805 CB RM
    yep, I have one of these and an 806.

11. Member
    The rod you have should be good. The suggestions above are what I thought....hooks and or line. what line are you using?
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

12. Member
    The key thing you said is when they jump. Don't let them jump! When you see your line heading towards the surface, stick your rod tip down into the water to keep them from doing that!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    I use braid on my glass rods. Rods have enough flexibility to take the initial shock and with the braid (no stretch) I can control the fish better. I use Owner or Gamakatsu hooks on most all of my baits.

14. Member
    That rod is fine---i use same rod as well as thenew fenwick lunkerstick. I agree use good hooks and keep fish down, dont let jump if possible
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

15. Member
    I've had very good luck with the St. Croix magnum cranker Legend Tournament Bass rod. Enough backbone to set a hook, but enough give to keep a fish pinned. In my opinion, some of the deep crank rods have too much give, and when combined with line stretch at the end of a long cast, just don't get the hooks stuck.