Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bass Tips For Serious Anglers

I thought this would be helpful for me and I'm sure many others if you could list some things you must do to help your fishing skill level increase at a faster rate below.
    Things I'm already doing since I can only get on the water maybe one or two days a week because of work

Watch bass U tv
    Read Bass fishing books
    check out flw and bass master website for certain tips
    I have a fishing log but have yet to use it since I don't know how much this truly helps I usually remember my fishing trips
    Watch tactical bassin videos or other quality videos on youtube

would anyone else would like to list below some advice and tips

2. Member
    Ignore dock talk and fish your strength(s).

3. Banned
    The number one piece advice I can give you is to practice your casting. The disparity amongst the pros and am’s is huge in this area. Even at our level, the co’s that i have fished with don’t catch near the fish as me simply because they cannot put the bait where they need to put it. And quietly put in there too. It’s the one thing that you can practice in your yard, a small creek, a pond wherever.

You can practice flipping and pitching in your garage. But really you need to master the side arm roll cast that is going to enable you to put a spinnerbait, swim jig, frog, topwater, etc in places that most cannot. The better caster you are the more fish you will catch. That’s a fact.

4. Member
    Get away from the bank
    Cheese County Bass Club

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    The number one piece advice I can give you is to practice your casting. The disparity amongst the pros and am’s is huge in this area. Even at our level, the co’s that i have fished with don’t catch near the fish as me simply because they cannot put the bait where they need to put it. And quietly put in there too. It’s the one thing that you can practice in your yard, a small creek, a pond wherever.

You can practice flipping and pitching in your garage. But really you need to master the side arm roll cast that is going to enable you to put a spinnerbait, swim jig, frog, topwater, etc in places that most cannot. The better caster you are the more fish you will catch. That’s a fact.
    +1.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    All that stuff you mentioned is great but all of it added together still doesn't beat time on the water.

Time on the water will be the best time spent improving. Keep a journal and analyze the bites you get.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

Learn seasonal patterns. If you don't understand which areas of a body of water is most likely to hold the most catchable bass during each season of the year, everything else you do is wasted effort.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

fish with other people, you can learn something from everyone, even if it what not to do, my biggest jump in knowledge and actually catching a fish or two went up dramaticlly when i started fishing draw tournament and in a club, gravitate towards a mentor, i was very fortunate to have two extremely good fisherman take me under their wing, one was an uncle, the other i met in a bass club, we both loved the same things and type of fishing, the other stuff is great advice, weed through the BS (aka dock talk) pay attention to what the guys that are doing good say, be a good listener, and keeping a log will help year-in and year-out....concentrate you efforts in a smaller area that you have found on a map, dont be intimidated by a big body of water, break it down into creeks/quadrants, use the trolling motor more
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Join a club where you fish with different anglers each tournament and there is information sharing. I fished a club like that for 6 years and it was an incredible learning experience.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Always fish into the wind

11. Member
    Get out of the lounge for serious advice lol Kidding kidding... sorta

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    All that stuff you mentioned is great but all of it added together still doesn't beat time on the water.

Time on the water will be the best time spent improving. Keep a journal and analyze the bites you get.
    Egg-Zackly.

13. Member
    Send all your Mega Bass lures to me, They are killing your catch rate. Thank me later.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umckibben View Post
    Get away from the bank

Condescension and fruit loops, what a combo! (Read profiles to decode). Getting out of the lounge for real advise is probably very good advise. NO replacement for time on the water, you absolutely can't learn it if you don't practice it! Fruit loops was just an example of cereal by the way.
    Last edited by bhjr.; 06-16-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Take your time when playing a fish. You will be surprised when you take your time and not try to “power winch” the fish to the boat you may have just a skin hook holding it. Fish your game hard to catch another man’s fish with a technique that you may not have confidence in

17. Member
    Stop over thinking ,, bass only have a pea sized brain , and stop reading advise on BBC ,,1 grape jelly worm,,, and 1 stingray grub smoke colored on 1/4 oz ball head,,, remember keep it simple stupid
    Work Work Work no pay no play USA #1

If you think you are fishing too slow, you are probably fishing too fast.
    13 year old Tracker

19. Banned
    I agree with the casting line since thats what im working on each time out there. Watching these damn MLF lives shows me how accurate these guys really are. I remember a video where KVD said every cast is planned and every cast counts. I felt i was kinda the same way...but these pros seem to hit the spot each time. Its epic to see them skip under things and get the bait in places 95% of the rest of us never could....and do it quickly and efficiently not hanging up and crap like that.

The Pros always cast so well that their lure doesn't make any splash. Frankly, I don't think a little splash is a bad thing, especially a series of little splashes, like skipping a tube or Senko. Food often makes a splash when it falls into the water! I have watched bass turn toward my tube bait when it made a splash 6' away. I could have cast to where the fish was, but knew that would spook the fish. It'd followed a carp that the boat spooked. Different species...the bass is curious, while the carp is just a nervous nelly. On that occasion, I shook the lure to click the rattle inside the tube; the fish went "down-bubble" (submarine terminology) and headed straight for where my lure was. I didn't shake it again, but it went right to it, I felt that "tap-tap" and set the hook. Only damned bass we boated that day.

My boater partner was busy changing lures all day, every 5 minutes...don't do that! "Fish your strengths" is correct, but you need to have a couple of weapons in the box...particularly a horizontal presentation and a vertical presentation. Gotta have options. Being able to put the bait where the fish are is key. It takes some aggressive casting to be able to do that. Sometimes, you'll get hung-up. Deal with it. Learning how to set a lure to hop over that tree limb or mooring line takes some experience and patience.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast