Correct process by Mercury/book to prevent multiple compressor replacement failures

2012 250 Mercury proxs serial number 1B882588 I am working with mercury to address 3 prior compressor failures now on number 4 changed by same shop. Boat is out of warranty now and this will be 4 compressor failure. Water pump changed every other year and screen cleaned 3 times year by dealer. Current compressor Julian date code 14196 has an open service bulletin for reed block replacement. Engine now has 172 original hours on it and the common issue with the failures is same shop installed a Mercury authorized dealer. Mercury is requesting and I agree to bring to another shop I am trying to get it to Don to find the source of all of these failures per the mercury representative is unheard of with hours on motor. What is the detailed and correct install and break in procedure for a compressor that may have been missed causing repeated failures by a mercury dealer. I am trying to get out of warranty assistance by Mercury approved prior to bringing to Dons. I have a picture of the compressor cylinder but it is to large to post. Advise appreciated to get prior approval from Mercury so I can bring to Don to get it fixed both the cause of multiple failures and compressor installed

2. Member
    There is no break-in for compressors. The biggest thing that kills compressors is compressor cooling water strainers that were not properly maintained. Mercury Rep or Dealer can review the computer data logs to see how often the compressor was overheated.

Was the screen cleaned 3 times by your dealer or 3 times per year by your dealer? Suggest replacing the water pump every year due to the issues you are having.

MercMonitor installed to monitor water pressure and temp?

You might want to learn how to remove/inspect the compressor strainer yourself to make sure it is really clean.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Has a mercury monitor. No answers yet as to installation steps after failure ....

5. Member
    Just as Savage said, there is no break in for a new compressor. The only "steps" are replace compressor and both return line filters then perform an oil pump prime sequence to bleed air from lines. Don strongly recommends fuel system (hoses, rails, injectors) be cleaned and verified after any compressor failure.

As stated above, water pump service interval is replace annually or 100hrs whichever comes first. Cleaning compressor inlet strainer is as necessary.

Do you have a Smartcraft system monitor or Mercmonitor? To ID which one you have see this FAQ topic - SMARTCRAFT Options
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

No claim to mercury for filters changed on prior compressor failures and the mechanic advised they were not changed as they didn’t need to be. Would this cause future failures

7. Member
    Yes, if the oil path through the compressor was inhibited due to return filters clogged with particulate from previous failures I would imagine it could cause issues.

8. Banned
    What actually happened to the compressors?

First failure complete failure at 74 hours had to be towed in. Mercury records indicate “fuel and air rails cleaned oil system primed the only part listed is compressor (no filters). Failure 2,3, and present failure boat looses power hard to get on plane won’t get top end rpm. Every time driven harder to get on plane. This is the pattern for all subsequent failures after first one. I talked to mechanic who changed all compressors no oil filters were ever changed stating “we don’t change them.” All repair work if you want to call it that was performed by a mercury dealer. They just kept slapping compressors on, did not look for source. If anyone can pm your email I can send a picture of the compressor cylinder (from dealer) it is to large for this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Yes, if the oil path through the compressor was inhibited due to return filters clogged with particulate from previous failures I would imagine it could cause issues.
    I thought I read somewhere that the return oil from the compressor went to one of the mains. If so that filter being restricted could cause lots of problems.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

If obstruction in filter is shown I am surprised it has not effected the entire powerhead. I feel stupid for not making sure job was done correctly. The compression was recently checked and is good. If anyone can send me your pm with email I would like some feedback on your take on cylinder does it show signs of low oil circulation. If mercury has some “skin in the game” they will assist and state the amount of failures in such low hours it unheard of. I just realized when first compressor failure occurred a new oil pump was installed but no listing of oil filters in that repair as stated
    Last edited by grimmjsg1; 06-16-2019 at 01:54 PM.

12. Member
    Where does the trash from a compressor failure go - right into the return line filters. Cannot believe your mechanic doesn't know that.

PM me and I'll send you my email address.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    Grimm's compressor...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Grimm's compressor...
    Pretty pitted up.

Thsank you for sharing. What would cause this based on observations? Maximum air regulator dump pressure slowly rising to 110 psi when pinched per shop (who has been replacing these but not addressing)

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grimmjsg1 View Post
    Thsank you for sharing. What would cause this based on observations? Maximum air regulator dump pressure slowly rising to 110 psi when pinched per shop (who has been replacing these but not addressing)
    That's from the pitting and scratches.
    I'm sure Don has seen this before.

Could the dealer not changing the oil filters accumulating metal cause low oil flow these pitting and scratches or an error in changing oil pump during first compressor failure?
    Last edited by grimmjsg1; 06-16-2019 at 09:25 PM.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grimmjsg1 View Post
    Could the dealer not changing the oil filters accumulating metal cause low oil flow these pitting and scratches or an error in changing oil pump during first compressor failure?
    I would think that not changing the filters would cause a failure further down the line as well.