Thread: Fitch ECU

Fitch ECU

Is there a quick test to determine the ECU is bad or is it test everything else and if it all passes then it is the ECU? Boat died on the water today no warning lights no nothing it tried to re-fire a couple of times but now nothing. I am thinking ECU since i did the stator last year and it does not seem to be trying to fire on any cylinder. I will look into it more tomorrow.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

2. Member
    Several here that are extremely knowledgeable on the Ficht but you'll need to provide more details and start with the year, model, and serial number. Of your motor. I'm a DIY Ficht owner and they have have provided excellent advice. I had an ECU that required service for a no-start condition on my '03 225 so I monitor all threads related to these motors. Good luck...

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May simply be your Crank Position Sensor (CPS), you'll need to connect a lap top with EVDiags to see what is happening.

4. Member
    I hooked my lap top up to it and no fault codes. I don't think it is the ECU because there is usually a temp alarm with that also and i was able to run diagnostic tests. Check spark and all plugs are firing with static test and when turning over the motor. I did find with the static injector test that injector 4 was not responding. Jumped the wire to another injector and it reacted so it is jetting a signal. If one injector goes down is that enough that the motor won't run? Now the other injectors reacted, they were not loud or anything and i could barley feel them reacting but could tell they were doing something.

Motor is an 04 225 H.O.

Check the big blue capacitor. The PDP is a possibility also if you loose the 40v it will not run, check the fuses in position 2,3 and 6. The static tests you ran does not eliminate the EMM as a source of the problem.
    Last edited by Danrude; 06-16-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    Motor is an 04 225 H.O.

and this is why rule #1 is so important...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=3454

The title clearly states Ficht but later it is revealed to be a 04 225 HO. A 04 225 and a Ficht are both two stroke so at least they do have something in common

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    and this is why rule #1 is so important...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=3454

The title clearly states Ficht but later it is revealed to be a 04 225 HO. A 04 225 and a Ficht are both two stroke so at least they do have something in common
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for being clear and useful.

8. Member

Add the year, model# and serial# of the OB in question so experts may help YOU!

An ECU or an EMM test uses the gozinta-kumoutta procedure. You test all the signals that gozinta the ECU or EMM and check all the signal that kumoutta the ECU or EMM and compare them to the factory specs from the service manual.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar

The title says you were inquiring about a Ficht, then reply #4 says the motor is a 04 225 HO which is known as a DI. The first year of the Ficht was 97 with 00 or 01 being the Ram Ficht and around 01 or 02 being the DI. Then later on they became E-TECH. There were multiple design changes early on in the injected Evinrude motors. Some design changes were made mid production year so having a model number is a must when working on a Ficht. I will give a couple examples that could have pertained to your question...early in the Ficht production years the computer was air cooled. They changed them to water cooled and have been that way since. By simply inquiring about a Ficht computer no one knows if its a air or water cooled computer. Early Ficht motors did not have pinned cylinder heads. When the pinned cylinder head version came out there were updates to to mapping in the computer to change the firing to get a better burn. Without a model number who knows if your computer has the mapping for pinned or unpinned cylinder heads. Hence the reason a model number is a must on a Ficht. In reality you have a DI not a Ficht...a model number from the beginning would have revealed this.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    An ECU or an EMM test uses the gozinta-kumoutta procedure. You test all the signals that gozinta the ECU or EMM and check all the signal that kumoutta the ECU or EMM and compare them to the factory specs from the service manual.
    When installing the computer make sure you use the correct torque specs. If you don't have a American torque wrench just use a German torque wrench. It's called a goodentighten.

Cool

The title says you were inquiring about a Ficht, then reply #4 says the motor is a 04 225 HO which is known as a DI. The first year of the Ficht was 97 with 00 or 01 being the Ram Ficht and around 01 or 02 being the DI. Then later on they became E-TECH. There were multiple design changes early on in the injected Evinrude motors. Some design changes were made mid production year so having a model number is a must when working on a Ficht. I will give a couple examples that could have pertained to your question...early in the Ficht production years the computer was air cooled. They changed them to water cooled and have been that way since. By simply inquiring about a Ficht computer no one knows if its a air or water cooled computer. Early Ficht motors did not have pinned cylinder heads. When the pinned cylinder head version came out there were updates to to mapping in the computer to change the firing to get a better burn. Without a model number who knows if your computer has the mapping for pinned or unpinned cylinder heads. Hence the reason a model number is a must on a Ficht. In reality you have a DI not a Ficht...a model number from the beginning would have revealed this.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

OP is in my bass club. He is a good, down to earth guy. I’d even call him a bit of a redneck....
    Thanks for giving him the heads up

15. Member
    When installing the computer make sure you use the correct torque specs. If you don't have a American torque wrench just use a German torque wrench. It's called a goodentighten.

polish torque specs even better--

gooden-tight plus one more turn!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools