2011 250 Sho making oil after new powerhead break in

I followed the Yamaha break in procedure to a T over the winter and have ran the boat as hard as possible since then. It was replaced new at 185 hours. Currently sitting on 220 hours. Can’t seem to get it to stop making oil. Any recommendations? The oil level has been fixed once and filled and confirmed to the correct level after the first break in oil change. Still getting a strong fuel smell from the oil and can’t get this stopped. How do I stop it? Made a special trip to the lake last week and ran it WOT for an hour plus non stop. What else do I need to do? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Standard or Synthetic Oil? Some may disagree, but after speaking to Yamaha directly, they told me to run the Blue conventional oil until broken in. What's the top RPM your running? The key is getting it hot enough. When I had this issue, I would tuck the motor under (trimmed all the way down), and ran it wide open putting as much load on it as I could. After a few trips running around all day like that, problem solved. Also I always ensure to run it hard before putting it on the trailer with little to no idle time. Never had the issue since.

3. Member
    I’m running synthetic oil so far, but I have read about running the lower grade oil. I suppose I’ll run that through it next. I’m running 5,900-6,000 RPM’s so I really don’t feel like that’s a problem. I don’t always get to run it hard when I’m done fishing. Especially right now, fishing night tournaments on a trashy lake. I’m sure you can imagine the challenge of getting that done.

Synthetic will not let the rings seat. Run the lower grade oil for about 100 but 200 hours would be best then switch to synthetic.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

5. Member
    Also along with Hooked and Warrens comments about non synthetic oil check that your stats are letting the engine go above 140 deg's. If not and it is running too cold they have to be replaced. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Trim your motor all the way in and run it wide open. That will get the motor hot and put a hard load motor this will help seat the rings. I just took my boat and motor in today for my 20 hour service. They told me to tuck the motor in and run it wide open for as long as I can run it.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I agree with KK. That's how I broke in all of my SHO's.

8. Member
    Break it in using the New Mercury four stroke break in procedure. I did and didn't make any oil in almost 30 hours! When I broke in the first SHO 250 I had I followed the Yamaha procedure and made oil like crazy...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Break it in using the New Mercury four stroke break in procedure. I did and didn't make any oil in almost 30 hours! When I broke in the first SHO 250 I had I followed the Yamaha procedure and made oil like crazy...
    I have a new merc v8 4s & all the manual says about break-in is fluctuate rpms & avoid full throttle for the first few hours. Is there more that you are referring to?

10. Member
    I don’t know how you guys think your getting your ring set with tucking the motor in and pushing the throttle wide open . I have my Sho hooked up to my graphs with eng temp . Mine would never get above 130 dg that way trimmed out 142 dg trim down your just flooding the cylinders with more fuel that’s not burning . Plus your running the eng in a poor power band . Eng should alway sound smooth with no vibration if it’s grunting always adjust trim and throttle . One of my weekend running buddy’s has been an outboard mech for mercury and Yamaha now for almost 40 years . That is one of his pet pees don’t run out broads in poor power bands . Don’t Dog it . Always use non synthetic Oil for break in .