links to Johnson "workhorse" info

I picked up a 25 HP Johnson "workhorse" for cheap (but needs attention). I've checked around the internet some. Also I can't find any identification (model/serial #) anywhere on the engine. what year were they made and any other info would be appreciated. It's a long shaft and I would like to convert to short shaft w/tiller and put it on my 12 foot rib.

Randy

Re: links to Johnson "workhorse" info (wadefisher)

Here is the page in the 1982 brochure which is the earliest instance that I have found of COMMERCIAL motors. They are listed as being available from 1978 thru 1999. They have been available prior to that for many years particularly in more remote regions of the world. These motors are very heavy duty & should last a long time. Read the description on the picture below. Try & find the model & serial number which is usually on a plate which is attached to the bracket which hold the engine to the boat. You will need this info for ordering parts.

================================================== ======

Modified by LIQUID NIRVANA at 9:14 PM 4/25/2008
    ALWAYS Prop your E-Tec to it\'s OPTIMUM RPM - CHECK yours HERE >> http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=703860
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````
    DEDICATED to the Preservation of OUR EVINRUDE_JOHNSON_OMC_E-Tec HERITAGE

EVINRUDE CENTENARY YEAR: 1909 > 2009 \"100 years of FUN on the water\"

3. Member

Re: links to Johnson "workhorse" info (LIQUID NIRVANA)

Thanks LN!

Yep! that's it. For 25 Horse this thing is HEAVY!!! That's kind of exciting. Almost Like finding a diamond in the rough. Hmmm...maybe I will restore like it is. Are parts available?

The tiller was converted to a remote steering application. There isn't a model # on the engine mount. I'm suspecting a little foul play at some time in its life, because even if the engine mount was replaced for the remote steering app, there should be something?!

Anyone know where I can find the model # (other than on the mount bracket)?

There is usually a silver welsh plug located on the block somewhere (usually on the top) which has the serial number imprinted on it. Just look around for it.

The motors usually have chrome water pump kits, special filters & much more. Made to take abuse. Notice the gearcase has 'wings' to prevent damage to the prop in case of hitting objects.

Ken

================================================== ======

ALWAYS Prop your E-Tec to it\'s OPTIMUM RPM - CHECK yours HERE >> http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=703860
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````

5. Member

I found the welsh plug on the starboard side about mid height. The Number is: 62598931

Here are a few more numbers I found:
    Stamped on the port side of the crankcase: 326713
    Stamped on the SB side of the crankcase: 635636 or 335636
    Stamped on the head at bottom: 327673
    Stamped on top of carb: KO 432700
    Spark plugs are: NGK B8HS10

Please help me identify this motor. I'm fearing my world is crumbling the more I look. No wings (but does have the sac anode), No chrome water pump, no special filters that I can see, and painted Johnson white (not the color in your picture).

Thanks

Randy

6. Member

LN,

Your website is very cool. I love looking at the old sales brochures from the "Glory Days" ie. cross-flow 2.6GT/XP, 235, 175, 150, 140, 115's etc...

Looking at that 40hp I now know where mercury got the idea for the sportmaster gear-case!

Because you have no model number here are the brochure pictures which display the cosmetics for particular years. There are more after if you want the pics.

CLICK on the pictures which will take you to the brochure.

1984, 1985 Johnson

1986, 1987 Johnson

1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 Johnson

Hope this helps

================================================== ====

Re: links to Johnson "workhorse" info (Darth VMAX)

Thanks for the compliments. Its a big job. Don't forget, their are 2 websites listed below. They have had well over 1 million hits in 22 months. Nothing else like them anywhere.

================================================== =====

9. Member

Yes....I too appreciate your work. Probably the best J&E collection anywhere (and I only got through about 10% of the information - I will be back). That's the kind of information that makes the internet great.

I've spent all evening scouring your sales brochures and have come to the conclusion I have an early to mid 90's Johnson Compact, probably 25 HP and someone stuck an old 25 HP "workhorse" hood on it. The sac anode is standard and exhaust through the prop is correct too.

That's OK it did not turn out to be the Commercial. The compact is depicted in the brochure on an inflatable which I plan to do once I finish the rebuild. Here's a picture and Thanks again for the terrific resource.

Randy

Modified by wadefisher at 8:27 PM 4/29/2008

1991 was the first year with the trapazoidal shaped zincs on the gearcase and the stripe coloring also looks like 1991.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Thankyou. Any support you need just ask. It really is a pleasure for me. I love this stuff.

Ken

================================================== =====

12. Member

I had a 1990 Johnson 30 HP, on a 16' Lund Explorer, which I bought in 2001. It was a great outboard. After off season storage, it would start on the second pull. After that it would always start first pull, all season long. One of the tech support guys at BRP: made the comment to me that those compacts (20, 25, 30 & 35) were the best, most bullet-proof outboards OMC ever built. Good luck with yours! I'm sure you're gonna love it!

13. Member

Re: links to Johnson "workhorse" info (Johnnielund)

Anyone know where I can get parts for this 91 Johnson 25 HP? Need tiller parts, short shaft stuff, prop, lower engine cover, etc.

Randy

14. Member

Hi. I bought a used Johnson Trolling Motor Model BHL4K 24 Volt Serial number H2763954 and I was wondering if you could tell me the year and the Thrust/HP. Also, it has a bow mount. Any ideas how to mount it on an open Bow? I have a 16' Thundercraft Deep Vee Boat with a Mercrusier 2.5L/Alpha1 Engine. Thanks. As you can probably tell...I know nothing about boating...lol Thanks