Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very interesting topic. I have thought about this endeavor off and on a couple of times but I know I’m a long ways away from being experienced enough to know deep down in my heart weather or not if I would be providing good guidance or just taking money for putting clients on the water. There is a big difference. Catching fish is fun for every one but fishing in itself can be boring if you are not on a good bite and clueless as to what it’s going to take to get on one. Only reason I posted all this is because it’s better than just posting Sub’d Often times I am hard on my self if the fishing is tough but am always reminded that it was fun to get out on the water regardless of what kind of fish were caught. If you can provide a good time and friendly service with no promises of landing lunkers while having clients that can appreciate that then you would be well off to a good start. Good luck on your future endeavors.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 06-15-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Very interesting topic. I have thought about this endeavor off and on a couple of times but I know I’m a long ways away from being experienced enough to know deep down in my heart weather or not if I would be providing good guidance or just taking money for putting clients on the water. There is a big difference. Catching fish is fun for every one but fishing in itself can be boring if you are not on a good bite and clueless as to what it’s going to take to get on one. Only reason I posted all this is because it’s better than just posting Sub’d Often times I am hard on my self if the fishing is tough but am always reminded that it was fun to get out on the water regardless of what kind of fish were caught. If you can provide a good time and friendly service with no promises of landing lunkers while having clients that can appreciate that then you would be well off to a good start. Good luck on your future endeavors.

The thing people overlook about being a guide is not only do you have to find fish but you got to find fish that are catchable based on skill level of client. Granted you can teach a client new techniques and such but still a lot harder to do than most realize.

3. Member
    With children, you also have to consider you will be working as a guide 7-days a week often. People want to fish on weekends, holidays, etc.

Until you are very established, you will need to almost be gone from home all the time.

We have a local guide here who specializes in livebait fishing and does very well. Good thing about that is nonskilled anglers and families can go out and catch good fish. He also does crappie fishing and guides on the river during the annual striper run.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

5. Member
    The best way to get started down here is get to know some local guides and start doing their overflow trips. Build your knowledge and hopefully your client base and then go off on your own. I will warn you though, it ain't easy and with 2 kids it will be super tough to stay out there enough to keep on top of the fish. But I'm all about a guy following the dream as long as you take care of family first so maybe hitch a summer or two or maybe winter down here and check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    The thing people overlook about being a guide is not only do you have to find fish but you got to find fish that are catchable based on skill level of client. Granted you can teach a client new techniques and such but still a lot harder to do than most realize.
    Very true. It can be some what time consuming to teach a newish Fisher to adequately use a bait caster with skill and accuracy if that is their desire with out having to undo multiple backlashes etc. Sure most presentations can be done with a spin reel set up but it's not going to be the same experience and you can only teach so much in the time slot alloted to each client. Granted each client can dictate the type of guide experience they receive based on their own fishing skills.

I just thought possibly you can have a websight with a questionnaire for each client during booking. The type of guide service provided to each client can vary based on the answers given at time if booking. This will allow you to figure out a good game plan ahead of time prior to ever meeting them. Being all geared up and ready to go is half the battle IMO. Locating fish and being able to catch them, well that's why we call it fishing lol.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 06-16-2019 at 01:23 AM.

You have a huge responsibility.
    Probably need to try on the side and not go in blind.
    Stick to your day job while you try to get your feet wet.

9. Member
    Kids come first. Money to raise them and Heslth insurance for family. Find s good job where you would like to be. Them move there and work. Fish on the side and ease into guiding. In time if you can see yourself providing for your family by fishing then make the transition. Have you done the math. How many clients per week would you HAVE to have to make what you do now plus buying good health ins for family ? Everybody has s dream
    job in mind. Most choose to do whatever works for raiding kids

10. Member
    Honestly, I greatly appreciate your opinions. A few of you have opened my eyes to some things I hadn't considered previously. Primarily, the fact that many guide clients can't fish. I always viewed guiding as taking decent fisherman out, and putting them on fish they hadn't found on their own. I never really considered the fact many potential clients may not know how to rig lures, fish them, feel what they are doing, or even cast accurately. It makes sense, that novice fishermen would contact a guide for services, now that I think about it. I may not have the patience for such an endeavor. Thank you for your ideas and encouragement, but I believe I will pursue other options.

11. Member
    catch5, I haven't fished Patoka since April. Sounds like I better get back up there, and get back at it. After last fall and this spring, I pretty much just gave up on it.

12. Member
    This is very solid and sound advise. Plus if you don’t love people or kid’s don’t try it, you have to be people person! The most important is you have to love it. Not just love fishing but love watching People catch fish. It sound fun but if you don’t love it you will get burned out easy. You will have ton of time working of the water to rigging rods, keeping your boat clean inside and out, returning emails/phone this is never ending, the list goes on And on. If you really good you stay double booked during primer which this means being on the water from daylight to dark every day. Than you have serval hrs of work to in the boat and on the phone before you go to bed. Man I could right you a book on thing you never thought a about but none of it matters. You have to love it. To me it’s priceless making memories that last a lifetime with good great people

13. Member
    The guys I know that grid feel blessed when they have a decent fisherman book a trip. Most of their trips are zebco 33, once a year at best fisherpersons. Forget about teaching those types baitcasting, break out the medium heavy spinning stuff and hope for the best! Not to mention better be good at the ol braided line hook removal technique, because they get stuck a LOT. One guide friend was stuck three times on the same 4 hour trip by a father and son!

Here in Utah you have to carry a 1 million dollar insurance liability policy, 100 ton captains license and be CPR certified. Then pay a state park fee. Then throw in boat and truck maintenance, fuel, insurance, tackle etc. After Talking the one of the local guides after all fees and taxes he might make $30 k annually. He also stated that it took years to build the business to even have enough clients to guide. He is retired so guiding is just extra income. I may revisit the possibility once I permanently retire.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Hawg View Post
    Honestly, I greatly appreciate your opinions. A few of you have opened my eyes to some things I hadn't considered previously. Primarily, the fact that many guide clients can't fish. I always viewed guiding as taking decent fisherman out, and putting them on fish they hadn't found on their own. I never really considered the fact many potential clients may not know how to rig lures, fish them, feel what they are doing, or even cast accurately. It makes sense, that novice fishermen would contact a guide for services, now that I think about it. I may not have the patience for such an endeavor. Thank you for your ideas and encouragement, but I believe I will pursue other options.
    Yep, the vast majority will be novices at best. When in FL, I eat breakfast at the marina on Toho and see the guides meeting clients. All appear to be people in town on vacation. The only guide trip I have taken was in shore salt and it was clear he expected us to be clueless and was happy when we were not. But, that might a good depending on your. If you’re a hammer that goes out planning to fish hard and long, you may not be happy. Also, keep in mind you’re the guide not the fisherman. You might occassionally wet a line but you are there to focus on the client, not your own fish. I’m nearing retirement and my wife suggested I guide part time since I’m say I’ll want a part time gig to have money for “beer and bait”. I think the only way I would enjoy it would be to specialize in clients with almost no experience, particularly kids. Like others mentioned, I’d make friends with some guides and let the know I’d take the kids and newbs to try to make it a fun time for them. I’ve thought of doing the same with duck hunting. This past couple of seasons I’ve had a lot of fun bring new guys into the sport. But, I don’t think someone could make a living with that approach. LIke I said, with my plan it would be more or less for fun and make a little money on the side as a bonus.

One thing I notices about some guides, especially those using live bait is they don’t use bass boats. If you’re taking 2 or 3 guys out, something like a 24’ center console flats boat looks like a good option. But if just taking 1 dude for traditional bass fishing, a bass boat is fine. I’d sit at the console and use the Ultrex remote to drive the client around while he is on the front deck. I think that would be a better experience for them.

I have to suspect that being able to catch fish is only half the job. You have to be good with people. If you are easily annoyed, its not for you. And count on stuff getting broken. I’d go with the salt guide I used again and we only caught two keepers. But he was a really nice guys and we had a great time. He was a local and due to his marine biology background, had a lot of interesting knowledge t share. THere more to it than fishing.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Axkiker, honestly....the river is producing as well as Patoka or Monroe lately. Lol. I certainly wouldn't attempt to guide on the river, though. Lived near it my entire life, and only wet a line there once. Lol.
    That is nonsense....Monroe out fishes the river everyday and twice on Sunday. If you’re not catching them on Monroe this year, you have some practice to do my friend. I agree about Patoka, but Monroe is a different story.

17. Member

My biggest point is if you want to make it a reality then do not listen to the naysayers. You can make it happen if you are willing into put in the time and work.
    Agree with Mark 1000%.

18. Member
    Sounds more and more like you might want to try getting your feet wet as a guide under an established outfit before making a career decision. Friends of ours had a lodge and guided for trout and salmon. Their clientele might be a little different than what you'd be working with but the stories they tell...... Fly fishing for trout and salmon attracts some wealthy people to the sport and they've often paid to be put on some premiere fishing. That can lead to a slightly distorted view of their skill set and their wealth can lead to some attitude about receiving instruction. One wealthy widow came every year and they had choose the guides very carefully since she couldn't wade and could only cast about 5 yds. Half her hits came when she just happened to have her line out while the guide was repositioning the boat in the river.

19. Member
    As a guide, my advice to you is to try and get on with a shop or under a guiding service to build up your name and reputation
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

20. Member
    One of the guides on TR was in a Bass club with me before he decided to guide full time. Cashed out his retirement and went all in. He had some lean years but is making a fairly good living now, but his main money comes from crappie not bass.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast