Wagyu... Is it worth it ?

Never had a Wagyu steak and thought about ordering one. I usually just buy prime whole cuts but thought about ordering in a Wagyu. just a couple steaks not a whole Wagyu as I dont want to take out a second mortgage.

Are they really worth the price I see ?

2. Banned
    If you have money to burn, than yeah it’s. I had it once and it was fantastic. It was paid for by someone else though. Lol. Just no food on earth worth that kind of money to me.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    If you have money to burn, than yeah it’s. I had it once and it was fantastic. It was paid for by someone else though. Lol. Just no food on earth worth that kind of money to me.
    Ohhh trust me it would not be an everyday sorta thing. Ive never tried it and thought it might make good xmas presents for my family who would never even think of trying it. Plus I want to try it.

I was looking around the Snake River Farms web and they have what they call a Wagyu steak flight. Comes with 2 6oz Ribeye filets, 2 6oz filet mignons, 2 6oz top sirloins and seasoning. Its listed at 169.00 so I figure if I were to visit a restaurant which had that grade of steak it would be the same or probably more per steak.

Just curious.

4. Banned
    I had a 90day dry aged ribeye...$99....from a top notch steak house. To me it tasted like shit...I am skeptical of paying wagyu prices. Just go to a local butcher and ask for a great cut..

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    I had a 90day dry aged ribeye...$99....from a top notch steak house. To me it tasted like shit...I am skeptical of paying wagyu prices. Just go to a local butcher and ask for a great cut..
    Ive never tried 90 but I did dry age a whole ribeye to 30 days. I thought it was great. Seems ive read once you get into long term dry aging the flavor really starts to change. You might try something more along the line of 30 days.

Or maybe you just got a bad one.. Who knows.

6. Member
    I've cooked many waygu briskets in competition and it makes all the difference, taste is totally different. I've had a few waygu ribeys and I didn't notice the flavor differance as much in the steaks compared to brisket, but they are still really good, very tender. So having had it I'd not pay SRF prices (twice that of Angus Prime) for steak again. Go for it if you can afford it and see what you think. It's a bit unerving cooking a $150+ piece of meat though.....

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Member
    My wife and I went out for our 1st anniversary 2 weeks ago. Went to Kayne Prime in Nashville. I got the "Progression of Ny Strips" or whatever they called it. It was 4oz of prime, 4oz American wagyu, 4 oz of Australian wagyu, then I added 2 oz of the A5 Japanese wagyu. Though, I didn't care for the way the cooked the Japanese (hot salt block) on the table. It was really good. Cut it with a spoon tender. I can't say it was really any better than the American or Australian, and probably only marginally better than the prime. I would like to try a 6oz A5 Japanese filet cooked like a normal steak, but don't really want to spend $150+ on a steak. I would order a couple SRF wagyu filets and keep them in the freezer for special occasions, though.

8. Member
    I am a very seasoned quality steak cooker and eater....so I thought...WOW...that much??? We always buy prime cuts in a whole roast and cut it into steaks at home... ribeys and strips mainly and some brisket too...but $150.00 bucks for a single steak ...really??? I am interested..as I type this sipping a jigger of $100.00 per bottle of whiskey on the rocks...with a $12.00 per six pack craft beer next to it...still WOW I never knew that this quality existed in the beef market...always something new in today's world...lol...is this company only available to purchase from on line?...dry aged beef? I happened across a butcher shop that is rather close by my home that has dry aged beef steak...it looked weird to me...kind of scared to try it...

9. Member
    Next you have to try some Berkshire pork ribs at $50 a rack :)

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I am a very seasoned quality steak cooker and eater....so I thought...WOW...that much??? We always buy prime cuts in a whole roast and cut it into steaks at home... ribeys and strips mainly and some brisket too...but $150.00 bucks for a single steak ...really??? I am interested..as I type this sipping a jigger of $100.00 per bottle of whiskey on the rocks...with a $12.00 per six pack craft beer next to it...still WOW I never knew that this quality existed in the beef market...always something new in today's world...lol...is this company only available to purchase from on line?...dry aged beef? I happened across a butcher shop that is rather close by my home that has dry aged beef steak...it looked weird to me...kind of scared to try it...
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com

11. Member
    All I can say at this point is WOW....gonna give this some thought...thanks thus far!

12. Member
    Another great place to get upscale beef. They have A9 Waygu briskets that are real popular on the competition trail these days

https://www.facebook.com/TheButcherShoppe/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAgumpZ3Pbx0-onVp7hnQ81fskZvqX4Ou4hBXpk2szs4d4yIQp2TkeUa1wj6Eq8 Z4HsqpblmqU70B3R&fref=mentions&__xts__
    [0]=68.ARDasaq3GNlu5sfEWMsrD4jevy9tBkG8MGcYbgxgXc87Te HPQ6DzCa2bC4Oq5Vi5zVtQooHxOGctAD3tn_fqgM07-5mYpncrf8P8cOaVN7EB5O0fm2hsyBbX4KEUrg_FRhEuBGXZ3eh _5QqeSP_D6QEGBtyrTWQb-f6ipOQvoJLmN51s4OULFcMVCG8JpZipTGrCww2gUG85zTDEIpO dnP8sE-72sPNoBbfgGybdLR-lxA

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Another great place to get upscale beef. They have A9 Waygu briskets that are real popular on the competition trail these days

https://www.facebook.com/TheButcherShoppe/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAgumpZ3Pbx0-onVp7hnQ81fskZvqX4Ou4hBXpk2szs4d4yIQp2TkeUa1wj6Eq8 Z4HsqpblmqU70B3R&fref=mentions&__xts__
    [0]=68.ARDasaq3GNlu5sfEWMsrD4jevy9tBkG8MGcYbgxgXc87Te HPQ6DzCa2bC4Oq5Vi5zVtQooHxOGctAD3tn_fqgM07-5mYpncrf8P8cOaVN7EB5O0fm2hsyBbX4KEUrg_FRhEuBGXZ3eh _5QqeSP_D6QEGBtyrTWQb-f6ipOQvoJLmN51s4OULFcMVCG8JpZipTGrCww2gUG85zTDEIpO dnP8sE-72sPNoBbfgGybdLR-lxA
    Thanks for that.. I will contact them.

14. Member
    Sounds really good
    But im on a save-lot budget LOL

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post

I am fortunate to live 20 minutes away from The Butcher Shoppe.
    Imo the wagyu brisket(my favorite by far) and tenderloin (filet mignon, my wife’s favorite) are Worth the price. The other cuts, not so much.
    But everyone has different preferences.

But I do agree, I feel the pressure to perform when cooking a piece of meat that costs that much!
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs