Keto and Cholesterol

50 years old male
    5' 7"
    165 lbs
    Very active

Background : I was required a waiver to get in the military at age 17 due to high cholesterol 33 years later and still high. Dictor has agreed my high cholesterol is hereditary. She to standards of care ha has to recommend stations. Unofficially he told me to continue High fat/low carb. He is on Keto as well and lost 37 pounds in 6 months.

I recently stopped statin drugs after a year. I have been on Keto for over a year with high LDL. I decided to test cholesterol after fasting and then again after normal high fat/ low carb for 3 days. Below are the results. As you can see, no food in caused cholesterol to rise. Lots of fat and protein caused it to go down.

After 5 day water fast

Total. 233
    HDL 49
    LDL 172
    Triglycerides 105
    VLDL 11

(Small particle LDL 312)

The following week after high fat/low carb for 5 days

Total. 180
    HDL 50
    LDL 116
    Triglycerides 50
    Vldl 10

Also had a calcium heart scan in the middle of this with a score of zero. Doctor officially continued my prescription for statin drugs. Unofficially agreed I shoud stop taking them.

I am now intermittent fasting on a 22/2 schedule and a 72 hour water fast each month.

Screenshot_20190615-062427_Excel.jpg

2. Member
    Excellent...I paid about 300.00 for a calcium score last year and also had a score of zero. I was 58 years old and the cardio doc said I had the heart of a 30 year old. My doc also had me do a lung capacity test since I also smoke cigars. That turned out excellent as well. I’ve been doing low carb for about 18 months and don’t need anything but a low dose blood pressure pill. I was sitting at 130/62 yesterday with a resting heart rate of 60 when I visited my doc for an annual physical. I’ll be 59 in a few days, I’ll stay with low carb eating. Occasionally we will have a “cheat day”. It doesn’t take long to realize how bad you feel eating bread, etc...

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Excellent...I paid about 300.00 for a calcium score last year and also had a score of zero. I was 58 years old and the cardio doc said I had the heart of a 30 year old. My doc also had me do a lung capacity test since I also smoke cigars. That turned out excellent as well. I’ve been doing low carb for about 18 months and don’t need anything but a low dose blood pressure pill. I was sitting at 130/62 yesterday with a resting heart rate of 60 when I visited my doc for an annual physical. I’ll be 59 in a few days, I’ll stay with low carb eating. Occasionally we will have a “cheat day”. It doesn’t take long to realize how bad you feel eating bread, etc...
    I also visited the cardiologist last week for a checkup. He preached to me about eating less fat and more carbs. Also wanted me to stay on Statin drugs. I told him his science was wrong. I asked him for information on any study that shows that high cholesterol causes heart disease. He said he has been doing it for 30 years and knows what he is talking about. (And could not cite a study) I showed him the lower cholesterol results after increasing my fat intake. He told me he would not accept any results that were not done through his lab. My last appointment with him.

4. Member