Banned

What are you throwing when its real windy (20mph+ sustained)?

I usually go to reaction baits. Saw aaron martens dropshotting in the wind at the MLF he won. Might try that out next time.

what are you all throwing when it gets real windy?

Also....anyway to throw weightless baits like a senko on windy day, or is it t-rig time when the wind kicks up?

Spinnerbait for me. Braid can be a pain in the wind, blowing onto docks etc. and getting snagged, but I still use it (40#).
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Moving baits are the obvious choice but if that ain’t working I’ve done well with a Carolina rig or football jig

4. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:16 AM.

5. Banned
    You can still cast into the wind and is beneficial to keep the cast either sidearm or underhanded. Like Golf, keeping the action 'under' the teeth of the wind. (abbreviated follow-through)

Was Aaron Martens also directing the Dropshot whilst watching the graphs? (this would eliminate the need for a cast)

Are there any areas to Punch? e.g. Floating grass and the like?

And a short clip from Mr. Dee Thomas, the originator of 'Flipping' Mr. Thomas' segment starts at 1:47

The problem with weightless baits like a Senko isn't casting but the wind pushes the bait and the lure never sinks. It's always windy here in Oklahoma and I use Owner screw lock weighted hooks in either 1/16th or 1/8 oz. I almost never throw a weightless Senko anymore.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Moving baits are the obvious choice but if that ain’t working I’ve done well with a Carolina rig or football jig
    shouldve thrown the CRig! did a little jigging but not much....prolly shouldve dragged more! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    I cast light lures as a routine and yesterday was one hell of a windy day with wind velocity between 15 and 25 mph. Yet I was able to cast soft plastic lures rigged on 1/16 oz jigheads with with no problem and catch 46 fish of different species: bass, crappie and sunfish. The week before the wind was almost as bad and I caught 58 fish -four species - on a different lake.

Large lures used for bass generally have enough weight to cast a distance into the wind, lighter spinnerbaits being the exception. Of course if I'm using baitcast vs spinning, baitcast are prone to backlash when the lure stops in mid air but the spool doesn't stop turning.
    Youre gonna force me to buy some of those ball heads arent you! lol I do really need some light/finesse jigs for my box. thanks...will do!

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    You can still cast into the wind and is beneficial to keep the cast either sidearm or underhanded. Like Golf, keeping the action 'under' the teeth of the wind. (abbreviated follow-through)

Was Aaron Martens also directing the Dropshot whilst watching the graphs? (this would eliminate the need for a cast)

Are there any areas to Punch? e.g. Floating grass and the like?

And a short clip from Mr. Dee Thomas, the originator of 'Flipping' Mr. Thomas' segment starts at 1:47
    No grass. all rock pretty much.

and yea. AMart was video gaming them

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    The problem with weightless baits like a Senko isn't casting but the wind pushes the bait and the lure never sinks. It's always windy here in Oklahoma and I use Owner screw lock weighted hooks in either 1/16th or 1/8 oz. I almost never throw a weightless Senko anymore.
    Damn....I got some VMCs that are in those light weights too! didnt even think about that!!! thanks!

I also add a small screw lock spinner blade to the tail end of the Senko, it adds a little weight and makes a little flash and vibration also.

9. Member
    Jerkbait and spinnerbait.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Obviously big bad moving baits but 20 sustained isn't to much for a waky jig/ Ned rig if need be
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Crankbait, Jerkbait, Spinnerbait, and big walking topwaters. Even though you can't really walk them, the bass will come through the whitecaps to nail them.

12. Member
    20+ winds.... a kite!

13. Banned
    Will definitely be trying all this out.

at my lake if the forecast is 15-20mph you get out and fish cuz thats a good day! lol very windy lake....and it really sticks around instead of gusty. really gets the water churning.