Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I know im late to the party but i really question guys that complain a rod balancing an inch further forward or back. Ive fished with light rods, heavy rods, light reels, heavy reels, and setups that were and werent balanced well. At the end of an 8-10 hour fishing day i feel no different regardless of what ive used. Im not a huge strong guy but after working on cars 50-60 hours a week, getting out and fishing with a rod and reel combo that were comparing in ounces or grams just doesnt seem like a big deal. When i throw an 8 or 10xd for 9 hours one trip, where my jig or big worms rod balances on the next trip for 8 hours is peanuts.
    Check back in with us in 15-20 years when the elbows / shoulders / wrists / neck / etc. don't always feel so great when you wake up in the morning and maybe you won't have so many questions.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

2. Member
    Age has a way of impacting us for sure. things that would not cause you to blink when 30 have a way of being a big deal at 55. Watching US Open Senior golf 2 weeks ago and saw numerous tennis elbow wraps.

I was down on Okeechobe in Dec 2016 and on a good tip down bite all week. Ended up with tennis elbow in right arm, took months to cure--- like 9. While I was 50 at the time I should note that I've lifted weights for 40 years so it is not a strength issue. repetitive stress issues are not about strength

that said, I think balance dialog can go too far.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Check back in with us in 15-20 years when the elbows / shoulders / wrists / neck / etc. don't always feel so great when you wake up in the morning and maybe you won't have so many questions.

My chosen career path will wear my body down long before holding a rod reel that weighs a pound ever will. My post may have came across more harsh than i intended but i think rod balance is overblown. Ive fished with guys in their 20’s that couldnt throw a big crank all day and ive fished with guys pushing 60 that could. Btw i fished my nrx 894 with a curado 200E last night and didnt notice it being tip heavy at all. The curado is a heavier reel and i wonder if maybe that doesnt help balance it out a little
    They aint got hands, set the hook

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Btw i fished my nrx 894 with a curado 200E last night and didnt notice it being tip heavy at all. The curado is a heavier reel and i wonder if maybe that doesnt help balance it out a little
    I switch between a metanium and alderbaran on the 894. It's def not as balanced as some of my other setups, but it's too light for me to really have issues, so I feel the same way as you do. My swimbait setup now, that's another story...I will take a few weeks off from certain baits after fishing them for a day.

5. Member
    I know it is not sexy to talk about buy my 894's with Mets balance very well with a chair leg protector with 3 quarters in them; approx. 1oz of weight on butt. I agree the 894 is light but this makes it feel lighter.
    2024 Phoenix 818

6. Member
    I build rods but recently lost the time to build and I own a 894 with a metanium. The rod is a dream to fish. Tip heavy yeah a little bit as mentioned above use a chair cap and quarters if it bothers you. Even as a rod builder that would be my approach. Easy on easy off and never seen a bass rod not work with the chair cap approach. I built one rod that I got stupid about with balance and added weight to the butt. Love the build except for my decision to weight the rod.
    Nitro z21

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I build rods but recently lost the time to build and I own a 894 with a metanium. The rod is a dream to fish. Tip heavy yeah a little bit as mentioned above use a chair cap and quarters if it bothers you. Even as a rod builder that would be my approach. Easy on easy off and never seen a bass rod not work with the chair cap approach. I built one rod that I got stupid about with balance and added weight to the butt. Love the build except for my decision to weight the rod.

Right on! at times I burn worms over grass and fish kill. I remove my chair leg weights in this case. Easy on, Easy off
    2024 Phoenix 818

8. Member
    Worrying about how a rod that is used for cast and retrieve techniques balances, is pretty much a waste of time because it is never going to be in balance while in use. The majority of the time the rod is going to be horizontal or tip down, and it going to have the weight of the bait and the water resistance it creates, pulling against the tip. So what if it's tip heavy. The only time you'll know it, is when you are holding the rod while tying on a bait.

It's a completely different story when you are fishing slack and semi slack line techniques with the tip up. If you're flipping or pitching tip weight plays a major role in fatigue. You're using the much smaller muscle groups in the forearm and wrist with those presentations. I can guarantee anyone that making 600 flips or pitches with a tip heavy rod, is much more fatiguing than making the same 600 flips or pitches with a neutrally balanced or tip light rod.

It is a huge difference. And while age does play into the equation, it is still easier to do with a neutrally balanced or tip light rod. It's not even debatable. A tip light rod accelerates easier and more quickly making flipping and pitching more accurate. It makes it easier to pitch and flip longer distances. And it makes getting a quiet lure presentation easier.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

Quote Originally Posted by retieoften View Post
    Does anyone use this blank for over the counter rods?
    Quote Originally Posted by jprovencher80 View Post
    Kistler uses the NFC X-Ray blank in the 2019 ZBone rods.
    Yes, the 2019 Z-Bone for sure uses them. The 2018 and older Z-Bones used NFC's HM blanks.

I *believe* Edge also uses the X-Ray blanks in at least some of their Black Widow series rods (the more expensive ones they sell), but I wouldn't swear to it. Edge is the finished rod division of North Fork Composites. Their bass rods are here: https://edgerods.com/mbr-2
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Yes, the 2019 Z-Bone for sure uses them. The 2018 and older Z-Bones used NFC's HM blanks.

I *believe* Edge also uses the X-Ray blanks in at least some of their Black Widow series rods (the more expensive ones they sell), but I wouldn't swear to it. Edge is the finished rod division of North Fork Composites. Their bass rods are here: https://edgerods.com/mbr-2

And as always, be prepared to wait 9 years while not hearing anything or being able to get in contact with anybody while you wait for your rod
    They aint got hands, set the hook

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345