Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    even more sensitive than the conquest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post

IMO the NRX rods are probably the most sensitive rods I have used though.....
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Here's the way I look at it: If you want the best, the NRX is probably right up there if not at the top of the heap.

That said, the reason I'll never buy them and the reason I *personally* would say that they're over rated is that the difference between the very best rods and the best $150-200 rods is really quite small in the grand scheme. It's way less than the difference between a $60-80 rod and those $150-200 ones, for example. As blank technology continues to improve - namely with multiple companies starting to perfect the scrimless designs allowing for blanks to keep getting stronger, lighter, and more sensitive - that difference continues to shrink. For me, it's asinine to pay 3 times as much for a rod that's only marginally better. Maybe that just says something about my skill level, but that's the way I look at it. Clearly for some guys, the difference is absolutely worth it. It's all in how you look at it. I just don't think you can buy one expecting it to be 3 times better than a $150-200 rod to justify paying 3 times as much. It's just not feasible.

Well, I suppose another reason I'll never buy one is that it's not that difficult to build a rod that fishes as good as an NRX at a fraction of the cost.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
    The spinning conquest are sooo nice. I have a 842s, which may actually be better than my NRX 852s. The conquest is lighter by 9g (more than 1/4oz ~9%), which is insane. Buy it.
    A whopping 9 grams heavier. Guess I better hit the gym a bit harder if I want to be able to fish with one of these rods.

Welp, you guys have my swapping the 854 for the 894. Thanks BBC.
    13 year old Tracker

Welp, you guys have my swapping the 854 for the 894. Thanks BBC.
    you want have any regrets. The 894 is an awesome rod and is very versatile.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Here's the way I look at it: If you want the best, the NRX is probably right up there if not at the top of the heap.

That said, the reason I'll never buy them and the reason I *personally* would say that they're over rated is that the difference between the very best rods and the best $150-200 rods is really quite small in the grand scheme. It's way less than the difference between a $60-80 rod and those $150-200 ones, for example. As blank technology continues to improve - namely with multiple companies starting to perfect the scrimless designs allowing for blanks to keep getting stronger, lighter, and more sensitive - that difference continues to shrink. For me, it's asinine to pay 3 times as much for a rod that's only marginally better. Maybe that just says something about my skill level, but that's the way I look at it. Clearly for some guys, the difference is absolutely worth it. It's all in how you look at it. I just don't think you can buy one expecting it to be 3 times better than a $150-200 rod to justify paying 3 times as much. It's just not feasible.

Well, I suppose another reason I'll never buy one is that it's not that difficult to build a rod that fishes as good as an NRX at a fraction of the cost.
    Good post Drew! It took me a long time and a lot of money to realize megabuck rods never made me any better

7. Banned
    894/895 are so tip heavy I dont know how any one uses them for anything but maybe possibly dragging a c rig and for that they arent really good cus the handle is too short for the length of rod so casting is diminished.

My favorite nrx rod is the 853. The 854 is a good flipping pitching rod but a little short for both those applications really. Its the rod I use the least except the 894/895 which I never use. It took 9 quarters on the end of both to make them feel balanced then they were so darn heavy I havent messed with them.

I don’t get the top heavy deal at all. I have a Shimano chronarch MGl Xg and the rod (894) balances perfect right in front of the reel seat like it should. Now if your a guy that holds the rod behind the reel seat I could see big problems in that scenario. The rod is so light in the first place, even if it were tip heavy it wouldn’t matter much. The NRX 894 is rated as best jig rod you can buy. I just fished my 894 for 6 hrs straight last Monday night (full moon) my left arm was sore from setting the hook!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

My 2pennies on the answer in your topic. Yes. Loved the sensitivity of the blank. I don't think you'll hear anyone say differently on that subject. I wanted to love the rod. The recoil guides I hated. They seemed fragile and like they'd be harder on line under stress. Also I felt they cheapened the rod. (they may be the most expensive guides out there I don't know) but, to me, they seemed cheap. Also It (nrx 873) did not balance as well as I'd hoped for that price point. Not bad, just not as good as lesser $ alternatives. I can only imagine the 890's lengths are even more noticeable in that regard. I'm not ok adding quarters or anything to the butt of a nrx to get neutral balance. In my mind thats like paying for a new Ferrari and having to change out the springs to get it to handle properly.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

10. Member
    The recoil guides weigh much less which enables them to have more guides and therefore more rod / line contact points which increases sensitivity. It also takes weight off the tip. They do break from time to time. Especially on the spinning rods if you're using braid. The warranty is the best. Once you buy a NRX you'll have a quality rod for life. I've had numerous warranty replacements with zero hassle. I think the warranty is a major selling point.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I don’t get the top heavy deal at all. I have a Shimano chronarch MGl Xg and the rod (894) balances perfect right in front of the reel seat like it should. Now if your a guy that holds the rod behind the reel seat I could see big problems in that scenario. The rod is so light in the first place, even if it were tip heavy it wouldn’t matter much. The NRX 894 is rated as best jig rod you can buy. I just fished my 894 for 6 hrs straight last Monday night (full moon) my left arm was sore from setting the hook!

If your saying you can put your finger in front of the rod seat (894) and the rod balances with that reel then that reel must weigh no less than 15 oz... ALL my reels weigh 4.5-5.5 oz and the 894 is balanced if I put my WHOLE hand in front of the whole reel. In other words the reel seat needs to be moved forward at least 3 inches, likely more. And the rod IS not in any way a light rod over all.

The 895 is even worse.

12. Member
    That's the only issue with the reels getting lighter all the time, it's hard to balance longer rods.

But...in my opinion...for a heavy rod like an 895 or any other flippin' stick type rod, being a little tip heavy is a plus. You get much better hooksets with a heavier bait like a flippin jig by the extra momentum the tip provides. In heavy cover it's very beneficial.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

Nrx are 380-455 NEW just call a few of the places that list them on ebay for the best price.. If you buy 3 at a time american fishing legacy sold them to me for 435 shipped for the most expensive models.

If you havent used one you absolutely are missing out, its not a little better its a lot better. Simply amazing how many strikes, blue gill etc you were never feeling.. The next closest rods are the ones made with north fork customs blanks by g loomis and they are not really even that close to a nrx.

Clearly people do buy nrx expecting something they arent recieving because they are for sale brand new all the time, half of mine were bought that way for 300-350 shipped from individuals.

14. Member
    A big factor in the cost of a rod is the warranty. When a manufacturer gives you a 10+ year warranty they're anticipating that they will need to replace that rod at some point so they just charge you for 2 of them upfront. I heard this from a guy who said he worked in the industry.
    Last edited by InTheWeeds; 06-20-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Yeap! It’s tip heavy! NRX 894 with Shimano MGL!

30EB5ED2-BD20-4AA2-B4DC-E1C5AEFD322D.jpeg
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

894c is on backorder from G Loomis. I'm going to give the 854c a shot. Balances okay with the Conquest...

13 year old Tracker

[QUOTE=ifishinxs;10351938]Yeap! It’s tip heavy! NRX 894 with Shimano MGL!

30EB5ED2-BD20-4AA2-B4DC-E1C5AEFD322D.jpeg[/Q

That's quite a way up compared to some other high end rods that balance better.
    Now IF thats a new Bantam MGL ( can't tell from the small pic but guessing from color) that reel is quite a bit heavier than most upper end reels of late. Put a metanium mgl on it and move that finger another inch away from the reel. I like my bottom contact stuff to balance right at the foregrip nut. Feel is all in the hands of the beholder though.
    Either way we all have a bunch off cool options to choose from and what makes each of us tick is different. Tight lines.

894c is on backorder from G Loomis. I'm going to give the 854c a shot. Balances okay with the Conquest...

Lol, if that reel can't get a nrx closer to neutral balance nothing will. She's a tank! Nice setup

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    Lol, if that reel can't get a nrx closer to neutral balance nothing will. She's a tank! Nice setup
    Haha...come on now. It is lighter than an Antares! I love this little round reel. Thanks!
    13 year old Tracker

[QUOTE=white gambler;10353438]
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Yeap! It’s tip heavy! NRX 894 with Shimano MGL!

30EB5ED2-BD20-4AA2-B4DC-E1C5AEFD322D.jpeg[/Q

That's quite a way up compared to some other high end rods that balance better.
    Now IF thats a new Bantam MGL ( can't tell from the small pic but guessing from color) that reel is quite a bit heavier than most upper end reels of late. Put a metanium mgl on it and move that finger another inch away from the reel. I like my bottom contact stuff to balance right at the foregrip nut. Feel is all in the hands of the beholder though.
    Either way we all have a bunch off cool options to choose from and what makes each of us tick is different. Tight lines.
    Just highlighted it. I’ve never noticed the rod being tip heavy. Non issue for me. If Loomis would move the reel seat forward a few inches it would eliminate the issue and give the rod a little more handle. Reels keep getting lighter so the rod manufactures will need to keep up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast