need a new actuater on my ranger trail

I was wondering how much the dealership charges for putting a new actuator in and slide a new tongue in and put the new breakaway cable in. I have a 2003 ranger trail with brakes and tandem trailer. How hard is it to do your self.

2. Member
    Eastern Trailer and Marine stock the actuator for your Ranger. I got one for my 2003 there for a very reasonable price. If you have any mechanical skills at all it is not too difficult. It does help to have two for bleeding the brakes. I did mine complete in about two hours. This is for the entire assy. for the tongue. The actuator and emergency cable are already installed. This is the way I went and found it to be cheaper than a rebuild. Unhook brakeline from actuator,remove two clips, knock out the pins and the whole system will come out. Slide in the new one, reinstall pins, new clips and hook up brake line. All that's left is to fill with brake fluid and bleed the brakes. There may be a you tube video that shows this but I'm not sure. Hope this helped.
    Last edited by Randrat; 06-14-2019 at 09:09 PM.

3. Member
    I bought the parts from Ranger and my son and I did mine last summer in a little over an hour. Wasn't bad, just a little slow and tedious and hard to get to some things, plus you are laying on your back the whole time for the most part, but not difficult.

4. Member
    Replacing the actuator is easy. Bleeding the brakes is the hardest part as it might take several priming sessions to get all the air out. This is a project that's worth doing yourself. Two people make it much easier when it's time to bleed the lines.