Electric Boat Trailer Winch

Anybody using an electric winch on their boat trailer and which one do you use? I am looking at the Fulton XLT 10,000 lbs and the DL TW9000. Both use a strap and not a wire cable. Boat is a Nitro 901 CDX 19' 2".

2. Member
    One of my friends just purchased two electric winches. One for is big bass boat and one for his electric bass boat. The one for the big boat is made in the US and the other is made in China. He is happy with the one made in the US even though it was more expensive. The cheaper one does not allow you to pull the strap out to hook up the boat when loading. You have to use the electric motor in reverse and it takes for ever. He is going to return the cheap one and spend the extra money. I'm sorry I don't have the brands but I guess the lesson is, you get what you pay for. I hope this is helpful.

3. Member
    I used one for a while, then it crapped out and I pulled it.

Two things ...Mine came with a metal cable. I switched that out to some no-stretch rope ( a strap would have been fine, too.)

I was constantly worrying how I would pull the boat out of the water if the winch failed. When it finally did, I was putting the boat INTO the water and I wasn't in a hurry. I was able to drive into town, buy another manual winch, and replace the electric one quickly. Better have a back-up plan if the winch fails when you come in from the lake.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m sure you must have considered this, but I tossed around the electric winch idea for years. And then I got a Fulton F2 winch [2 speed] with 5,000 strap and will never have to think about electric winches again. The low gear on the F2 winch walks a heavy bass boat up the trailer like nobody’s business. I’ll never have another boat without one.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    IF...you have 2x4 carpeted bunks..AND..you are having trouble getting the boat up when recovering...you might consider adding PVC Gutter Downspouts (cut lengthwise) to just cap your present bunks. They help a lot.
    http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewto...=bunk&start=30