Concrete Driveway

I'm hoping someone on here has experience with concrete. My mom talked to a contractor about replacing her driveway and was told they use some type of fiber in the concrete now. The only way I've seen driveways formed was by using wire and rebar. My question is, is the fiber ok or does my mom need to request the wire and rebar method? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fishing is a Passion
    I would like to add, can concrete driveway be cleaned and painted, Might also need to replace
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    I would like to add, can concrete driveway be cleaned and painted, Might also need to replace
    Yes

4. Member
    I would suggest using the wire & rebar. The fiber will add strength as well if you want to pay for it. Personally I wouldn’t do both.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

5. Member
    Fiber can not replace the reinforcement strength of wire/rebar. Fiber helps to reduce cracking but on a driveway where the concrete will be under weight w/cars, trailers etc always use wire/rebar to reinforce it.

6. Member
    Fiber can not replace the reinforcement strength of wire/rebar. Fiber helps to reduce cracking but on a driveway where the concrete will be under weight w/cars, trailers etc always use wire/rebar to reinforce it.

I agree wih this

7. Member
    Fiber...is a Fiberglass additive to the concrete mix before it's poured out of the delivery truck...it is extra dollars and does not warranty the concrete against cracking...it does help resist cracking...but if you driveway contractor cuts proper expansion joints and has steel included throughout you shouldn't need fiber...the only warranty for concrete is in general that it will crack...properly controlling where it cracks makes the difference between a quality contractor and one that is insufficient...

8. Member
    Thanks guys for the great information.

9. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    We use the fiber for driveways all the time here. No problems. And our soil moves a lot. The fiber is around $5-7 a yard extra.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

10. Member
    there are 3 things for a driveway, that trump reinforcing, or mesh. That is proper subgrade composition, overall thickness, and prompt cutting of control joints. With all of those addressed, mesh will be fine. Any cutting of control joints later than 24 hours is cosmetic at best. The concrete has already decided where its going to crack, no matter the placement of the control joints.. Soft cutting as soon as possible, without flaking of the joint, is optimum.