2+2 / 250R / 30 Promax- problems when the livewell is full

Guys, I am in need of suggestions on an issue that happened today. Today was the first trip where I actually used my livewell, and with it full I almost cannot get on plane due to the prop venting and cavitating.

Here is the setup:
    New 2+2,
    9" setback,
    250R, 30 Promax with exhaust ring on front and all holes plugged.
    3/4" above pad.

Fishing load, 2 peeps, empty livewell, the prop cavitates to just over 5k and throttle has to be feathered a bit, but it is manageable.

Same setup, livewells full, the boats nose goes sky high, the prop cavitates to 4800-5200, and the nose will almost never break over. I had to turn the boat while trying to get on plane to get it to break over. Otherwise, it just cavitates and puts the nose in the air.

I'm certain some of you guys have way more experience correcting Allison setups than I do. Any advice will be much appreciated!

2. Member
    �� not sure. I’m running 30 promax on my Xb21xst/250R. I have all holes plugged with no cavitation ring and mine comes out the hole fine even with two people and livewell full. Of course it has more bow rise but it grabs and goes. The hydromotive don’t have near the bow rise the promax does and comes out good also. Promax was quicker to 85 than the hydromotive. I would run A hydromotive or bravo and see what you think. 28-29. My 29 hydromotive is almost to the limiter. I figured a 27 or 28 would be a great fish prop.

Fighting this now with a 300R.

Try pulling plugs or the ring.

I moved the batteries to the nose and the problem is gone. I put this testing in another post. Copied to here. I ran my boat in a tournament last night with a 30 promax and it did awesome now that the batteries are in the nose.

I was running a 28 promax in tournaments as a work around. I still had to make a sharp turn with a 28 to get it out quicker before moving the batteries .

4.3s - 4 open PVS holes
    3.6s - 8 open PVS holes
    3.23s - 8 open PVS holes and foil
    2.94s - 8 open PVS holes, foil, 1 battery in nose
    2.57s - 8 open PVS holes, foil, 2 batteries in nose
    3.1s - 8 open PVS holes, foil, 2 batteries in nose 28 gallons of water in the livewell!!!! That's another 200 plus pounds and it got out faster and with no nose to the clouds than the 8 PVS baseline setup. Not to mention it did a 20 second 5-85.

i also tested with the troller batteries in the back and a spare set of troller batteries in the nose (same weight). This didn’t help. The weight needs to get out of the rear.

FyI. Woody runs a 36v troller with 3 lead acid batteries in the nose. I don’t know your exact setup, but I’m guessing you are way lighter in the nose.

Jay has a 2+2 with 300r he just put on. We tested this week. He goes nose high as well. He is running a bass pro worth of tackle right now in the nose to help.

Last edited by River Rocket; 06-15-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

ran a 29 bravo(fs) 4 holes plugged on my 250R with a full T load, 470 lbs worth of bodies, 75lb agm battery in port rear, livewells full. 90degrees last month. It hops out of the hole without putting the nose in the clouds. HOWEVER it's right at the limiter and ain't going over 84 no matter what. I THINK a 30 bravo would be the sweet spot. I believe it would still come out of the hole and you could get 85-87 consistently. I have a 24v system so less weight than woodys up front.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

White gambler. You have trollers in the nose right? I’m just trying to get a handle on weight Distrubition with R boats

jay just tested his 2+2 on the water with a full livewell. 2 holes unplugged. 2 holes open and no blowout ring. 30 promax on a 300r. Good holeshot. He is running more setback so that works against him some. He does have his nose full of heavy tackle and ballast up front.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Yessir

7. Member
    How far up front did you move your batteries?

The 2 seater has them 8’ from the nose. I put mine in that general area.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Man Geoff when you do something you don't mess around!! Nice work on those battery trays.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I was admiring those too

LoL. Thank you. I was thinking they needed to be painted yellow and was going to rip it all out and powder coat.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    LoL. Thank you. I was thinking they needed to be painted yellow and was going to rip it all out and powder coat.
    Youre sick. I like it!

Awesome .. Geoff has all the cool stuff and the equipment to build it.. I'm so jealous !!!

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    White gambler. You have trollers in the nose right? I’m just trying to get a handle on weight Distrubition with R boats

jay just tested his 2+2 on the water with a full livewell. 2 holes unplugged. 2 holes open and no blowout ring. 30 promax on a 300r. Good holeshot. He is running more setback so that works against him some. He does have his nose full of heavy tackle and ballast up front.
    I ran 2 open holes and 2 large hole pvs plugs. Full livewell I lost between 1-1.5 seconds on holeshot. To also clarify I moved my batteries from the rear of the port side compartment to the front of the compartment many years ago. That alone knocked over 1 second off holeshot times. It also lowered my bow as well. I was running the 2.5 XS light weight motor back then. More testing will be completed soon and I will post what my skunkworks findings are at that point. My advise at the moment is pull the seal off ring and test. Or start popping pvs plugs and try. I would recommend only doing 1 thing at a time till it gets better or worse. I use to make 3-4 adjustments at once and never really knew what did the trick. Spent lots of dollars being impatient in the old drag days. Now I kinda like the testing 1 step at a time. For the record I am plugging mine a little at a time to reduce surging on holeshot!
    Last edited by tritontr21; 06-18-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R