Humminbird Pros question

I’ve been ready to upgrade my graphs & have always been with Lowrance, I’m leaning toward the new Mega’s So here is my question when trying to decide between the Helix & Solix. Common logic leads me to the Solix with the touch screen & all their latest technology with it being HB’s flagship model,,,but how seeing none of the HB pro’s running the Helix models it leads me to question what is the deal? Feel free to educate me on which way to go & what I’m missing. TIA
    Ranger Z520
    Yamaha HPDI 250

2. Member
    Both have their perks, Solix are more customizable and have more bells and whistles, but that comes at a price...$$$ literally. When I switched I went with helix, I was able to get two graphs at the console and it does everything I need them to do and more. Also for me I wasn’t interested in the touch screen... dirty fish hands, waves, cold and wearing gloves. That’s just what pushed my decision and I have no regrets.

Most of the Humminbird sponsored pros use Helix units. Simpler to operate.

4. Member
    In my opinion the Helix line is more user friendly. Solix is loaded with more navigation functions but the basic functions are the same.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

Helix has a shorter learning curve for even new users and very familiar to those that have used birds in the past

Biggest reason I would suspect the pros are using Helix is the power consumption
    Solix is a power hungry monster and very voltage sensitive and when you put 4 of them on a boat you better have some really good batteries on board
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    What , the pros can't afford batteries. They're running 250 HP, weight isn't an issue. Would not the pros easily adjust their Solixs since they fish for a living?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    What Wayne said!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I don't know if that is the only reason. Some of the pros only prefer the helix while others only prefer to use the solix, and some are good with either. This is similar to iPhone users and android users. But it's also important to consider these guys were getting their new boats with 4-stroke merc when the helix gen 3 was on the market and the solix gen 2 had not been released yet.

I had an interesting conversation with a pro about why he switched to Helix this year and had a Solix last year. Obviously my curiosity was the same as many others. He simply stated he liked them both however he ran a helix before and wanted the latest/greatest which is mega + now. Adding to the conversation, he said once his boat and electronics are installed, his boat will stay that way for the entire season. Typically, pros don't change anything until they get a new boat the following year.
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBandit51 View Post
    I’ve been ready to upgrade my graphs & have always been with Lowrance, I’m leaning toward the new Mega’s So here is my question when trying to decide between the Helix & Solix. Common logic leads me to the Solix with the touch screen & all their latest technology with it being HB’s flagship model,,,but how seeing none of the HB pro’s running the Helix models it leads me to question what is the deal? Feel free to educate me on which way to go & what I’m missing. TIA
    No there is actually a fair mix of pros using helix and others using Solix. Which is excellent from a consumer perspective seeing both models in use by the pros. I have both helix and solix units installed right now. And I prefer to keep it that way.
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

10. Member
    Have two Helix's, enjoy the ease maneuvering through the menus. Extremely pleased with the mega too