Livewell Questions

So, I finally got my new-to-me Puma out on Lake of the Ozarks yesterday.

Went through and operated all pumps as well as aerator. Fishing was pretty good. Threw a couple of bass in the livewells just to make sure everything was good to go through a day on the water.

The boat performed flawlessly up until the end of the day. I had aerator set to 3 and in hind sight probably could of ran it at 5 or in manual.

We finished fishing and get ready to head in, and my cranking battery is dead or pretty darn close to it. And then my electronics would not stay on due to low voltage conditions.

So, the way I see it is one of three things happened. Either 1) my battery is oldish and needs to be changed out; 2) Too much load on the battery (i.e. 2 MFDs, and all associated pumps); 3) Pumps(aerator) were operated too frequently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Bill
    Retired USN SEABEE
    2007 BassCat Puma, 2008 Merc ProXs
    Garmin Force, 106sv’s, Livescope

2. Member
    I would look hard at the battery, charge up and test it. Mine will run all day witrhout an issue. If it is replaced, look to Napa or the X2 at Batteries Plus.

3. Banned
    Put money on that your battery is crap. Make sure you get a group 31 w/1000CCA. that will cover your cranking and acc. Now if ya wanna do what I did, get a RB100HP and you will have all the power you need.

4. Member
    Good recommendations above. Likely the battery. The X2/Northstar suggested is the best around right now. Also it’s a good idea to direct wire your electronics to the battery on their own circuit if the previous owner did not.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    I have a 2016 Puma and vote for a battery issue as well.

6. Member
    Its a battery issue. I agree with Phisherman. Make sure its a 1000CCA battery. I can run aerators all day on setting 3. Front and rear electronics, and never have a cranking issue.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Thanks everyone. Havent had time to trace it down yet due to fathers day. Did take her back out on the water and the same thing happened. Didn't make a very far run, fished a cove for a couple of hours, went to start to head back in and the dreaded click, click, click. Took her back in with the trolling motor.

On the bright side, we got into a mess of bass and everyone was catching....and I am getting quite adept at loading using the trolling motor.

My focus this week will be to get that battery changed out, and install my thru hull ducer while I am in there.
    Retired USN SEABEE

8. Member
    My buddy and I run Deka AGM 31 s I run a puma he runs a cougar. Mine is 3 years old and his 5 . We both run 3 big graphs and live wells on timers all day in tournaments . Neither of us have been left low on power .

look at the battery id say it was bad. when I run mine I put my rec and aerator all at 3min and leave them. last time I used them we were fishing the 2 day owners invitational at Beaver Lake and where we stayed at I didn't have access to an outlet where I parked the boat so mine was never on the charger and my batteries were all good all weekend

Will do. Thanks for the info guys.
    Retired USN SEABEE

11. Member
    Your battery is the issue. I run a 31AGM, and with 3 Helix 10s, and livewells running on 3 minute intervals all day, no problems.
    Also, on older boats, you can run into issues with graphs cutting off when you start the motor, or use Power Poles/Talons, due to the power wiring for the graphs. Look into a new wiring if this happens. Measure from your batter to the console, and console to bow. Call Alan in Parts, and he will help you out. 6ga from battery to console, and 10ga from console to bow.
    https://www.basscatstore.com/powercableforgraphs.aspx