Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

School me on 9mm

Looking for a 9mm pistol for home security. Will not be a CC weapon. Dependable and ease of use is what I am looking for.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Love my Walther PPQ M2, but a lot will depend on what you are comfortable with. If you have a way to try a few different out before purchasing it really helps. I went to an indoor range and rented different ones.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Glock 19 is what you are looking for.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Dependable and ease of use is what I am looking for. Revolver.

5. Member
    I'm a 1911 Guy. If I'm not trying to carry concealed, I'm choosing a full sized 1911 A1. Kimber or Springfield. Most any brand 1911 will do.

That said, I do have a 1911 style 9 mm that I use for a concealed gun from time to time. It's a Kimber as well. It's one of their Micro 9's with night sights.

6. Banned
    Agree on the renting and trying. What works for others may not work for you. Some models will be more comfortable than others, and they will shoot better, too.

If dependability is what you're looking for, a Glock 19 will be your best option.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Glock 19 is one of my favorite guns ever

9. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    I hated Glock's....the grip is very uncomfortable to me.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    Glock 19 is what you are looking for.
    +1

11. Member
    If you don't like Glocks, try the Springfield Armory XD Mod 2's, they're shooters as well.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougN68 View Post
    If you don't like Glocks, try the Springfield Armory XD Mod 2's, they're shooters as well.
    +1. I'm not a fan of Glock at all. I have the XD and I also have a S&W MP Shield that I really like. If the OP likes ease of use, as another post said, get a revolver.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

13. Member
    If for strictly home defense, you can't go wrong with a Beretta 92FS or Glock 17. Both are larger framed guns, 17+1, reliable, and accurate. Go shoot both and see which one you like best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
    Dependable and ease of use is what I am looking for. Revolver.
    Tru Dat.
    It's 2am and you were just awakened from a deep sleep. Bad guy in the hallway. You have a 9mm semiauto in the nightstand. Here's some shit to attempt to run through your mind as you prepare to make a split second decision. Is there a round chambered? Mag attached? Safety on? And most importantly, Are you gripping the firearm properly and firmly enough to avoid a limp wristed FTE/FTC jam ?? No one trains in a half awake stupor with less than 100% fine motor skill or with their arm asleep from sleeping on it funny.

Or you have a revolver. Here's the thought process necessary. Shoot or don't shoot.

I have a very nice selection of Semis, both 1911 and striker fired pistols. I probably have a dozen or so in various calibers and sizes. The gun in my truck is a Kimber 1911 in 45 ACP, I often CC a Kimber solo 9mm. But in those instances I'd be awake and alert. VERY different circumstances than the 2am scenario.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

15. Member
    Walther ppq is my home gun. Best 9mm I’ve ever shot. The Taurus G2C is a nice gun on the cheap side. I keep one in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    Tru Dat.
    It's 2am and you were just awakened from a deep sleep. Bad guy in the hallway. You have a 9mm semiauto in the nightstand. Here's some shit to attempt to run through your mind as you prepare to make a split second decision. Is there a round chambered? Mag attached? Safety on? And most importantly, Are you gripping the firearm properly and firmly enough to avoid a limp wristed FTE/FTC jam ?? No one trains in a half awake stupor with less than 100% fine motor skill or with their arm asleep from sleeping on it funny.

Or you have a revolver. Here's the thought process necessary. Shoot or don't shoot.

I have a very nice selection of Semis, both 1911 and striker fired pistols. I probably have a dozen or so in various calibers and sizes. The gun in my truck is a Kimber 1911 in 45 ACP, I often CC a Kimber solo 9mm. But in those instances I'd be awake and alert. VERY different circumstances than the 2am scenario.
    My Glock 21 stays loaded with 13+1 and all I have to do is grab it and pull the trigger. Doesn’t get much easier than that.

Glock 17 with a 33 round magazine plus one in the chamber. No safety required. Point and shoot when you have a gang of seven people break in your house and you’re still half way asleep and can’t get the job done with 6 rounds.

18. Member
    Research or look at the H&K VP9

19. Member
    You really should shoot different brands & models to see what fits, I have a Walther P99 & Glock 27 (40 cal)......... my Glock is on my side all the time except for at work....

CZ75, reliable and hard to be the ergonomics and shootability. The SP01 (decocker instead of manual safety) is my bedside, still need to get a light for it though. Only real down side is mags are expensive. For the revolver vs semi-auto aspect, I had someone beating on my door at 3am a few months ago, to the point I thought they were trying to kick the door in, and the adrenaline dump has you alert and aware very quickly and it was just autopilot in terms of handling my CZ. Granted this is just one person's experience, your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast