Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The G19 recommended above is a fine pistol, but if it's never going to be a concealed carry weapon I'd go full size with either the Glock 17 or the Sig P320 full size. There would be no reason for a round to not be chambered or to not have a magazine inserted. There's no safety to worry about and I pretty much guarantee that if you're stressed you'll have a very firm grip on the pistol.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

I haven't ever been a Glock fan either to each their own. good guns though.
    any decent quality 9mm will work fine for your needs weather it be Glock, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer. those are the ones I would look at.
    Me im a Sig guy. love my Sigs and in that line a P229 or P226 would fit the bill well.
    in the Smith I would look at a M&P
    Springfield in the XD line

I would look into a full frame gun that holds 15+ rounds just for the max capacity that you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    My Glock 21 stays loaded with 13+1 and all I have to do is grab it and pull the trigger. Doesn’t get much easier than that.
    For the first round Yes, you are correct. Glock makes a very dependable and well loved platform. There is a reason it is so popular. Great gun. But..Do you do much training in a half awake state of alertness with a decreased reflex and low muscle tone that you have upon awakening? I sure as hell don't. I'm a 1911 guy myself, but I acknowledge that I'm not the same guy in a half awake daze than I am at noon at the range. Those extra 12 rounds in the magazine only help if the firearm properly cycles.
    Of course, that's just my opinion.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

I was looking once for a 9mm for the house and while in the gun shop I saw a police officer and asked him the same question. His answer was this. “A Glock is boxy not real sleek and there are a lot of handguns that look better looking and prettier but if I am in a gunfight I want a Glock they will shoot clean dirty and dependable.”

If you're looking for strictly a home defense gun then buy a shotgun and leave the pea shooters for conceal and carry.

There are two schools of thought on this. One, go with a large capacity semi like the G17. The other thought is that most times you need a firearm to defend your home it will be at night. Should you be awakened abruptly and you are still half asleep any problems that you may have with a semi become magnified. A FTF or FTE becomes life threatening. It's hard to remember your tap, rack, and bang drill when facing an intruder. The why I keep a Ruger GP100 in a mattress holster. (That's a generic picture of the holster.)

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    One thing I did not post but should have is to get night sights. Tritium glows in the dark and every home defense gun should have them IMO.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by 481VSangler View Post
    CZ75, reliable and hard to be the ergonomics and shootability. The SP01 (decocker instead of manual safety) is my bedside, still need to get a light for it though. Only real down side is mags are expensive. For the revolver vs semi-auto aspect, I had someone beating on my door at 3am a few months ago, to the point I thought they were trying to kick the door in, and the adrenaline dump has you alert and aware very quickly and it was just autopilot in terms of handling my CZ. Granted this is just one person's experience, your mileage may vary.
    Sweet platform!! I recently picked up a SP01 Shadow that has been "cajunized" for a race gun. One of the best triggers I've ever played with in a handgun. After the work, the trigger is way too light for self defense, but I enjoy the hell out of shooting it. These are amazingly well made and reasonably priced little workhorses, although I think the word is starting to get out and demand for them is increasing.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

9. Derek McCullough
    Clock 19 or a H&K VP9 are both phenomenal guns.

10. Member
    Glock 17 or 19. Easy to use and extremely reliable.
    Brad Krone

11. Member
    +1 on the Springfield XD 9MM. Especially for home defense, the thing I love about the XD9 is that it has two different indicators that you can actually feel to know that the gun is ready to fire. There is a firing pin indicator and then a loaded chamber indicator. You can simply run a finger over those areas to verify that there is a bullet in the chamber and it's ready to fire. Very handy if it's dark. It also has dual safeties (trigger and grip) which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    +1. I'm not a fan of Glock at all. I have the XD and I also have a S&W MP Shield that I really like. If the OP likes ease of use, as another post said, get a revolver.
    ^THIS^ I am not a Glock fan overrated
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

13. Member
    Home Security - S&W .357 revolver, all day, all night, every night...
    Will shoot both .357 or .38 slugs
    Incredibly simple to operate and little to nothing that can fail or jam

Concealed carry in my truck - Glock 26
    Last edited by printman71; 06-14-2019 at 02:28 PM.

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    Agree on the renting and trying. What works for others may not work for you. Some models will be more comfortable than others, and they will shoot better, too.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    For the first round Yes, you are correct. Glock makes a very dependable and well loved platform. There is a reason it is so popular. Great gun. But..Do you do much training in a half awake state of alertness with a decreased reflex and low muscle tone that you have upon awakening? I sure as hell don't. I'm a 1911 guy myself, but I acknowledge that I'm not the same guy in a half awake daze than I am at noon at the range. Those extra 12 rounds in the magazine only help if the firearm properly cycles.
    Of course, that's just my opinion.
    If I have a Glock and a revolver both loaded by my bed all I have to do is grab either one and start pulling the trigger. If I’m in such a stupor that I can’t pull the trigger on a loaded Glock I doubt I could pull the trigger any better on a loaded revolver. As far as limp wristing, anyone who has a semi auto should be familiar enough with its function that they could effectively hold it properly even in a daze. I’m not against revolvers, I actually have a hankering for a new one right now, but anyone who owns any weapon should be well versed in its operation to operate it when conditions are less than ideal.

16. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    There are two schools of thought on this. One, go with a large capacity semi like the G17. The other thought is that most times you need a firearm to defend your home it will be at night. Should you be awakened abruptly and you are still half asleep any problems that you may have with a semi become magnified. A FTF or FTE becomes life threatening. It's hard to remember your tap, rack, and bang drill when facing an intruder. The why I keep a Ruger GP100 in a mattress holster. (That's a generic picture of the holster.)

I keep a Ruger SP101 in the same rig at my bedside,,,and a killzion lumens flashlight,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Glock
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

18. Member
    My dad just bought this PM9 by Dan Wesson (owned by CZ USA). I am a fan of 1911's if you go that route. There are lots of great posts in this thread about revolvers and shotguns as well. To me it depends on how close to my neighbors and will the sheetrock or glass prevent the bullet from endangering someone in a nearby house or family in another room. If so, then the shotgun becomes a prime consideration and there are some nice shotgun revolvers out there....

https://danwessonfirearms.com/produc...man-nine-pm-9/
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

19. Member
    Had a Glock 19 for years. Sold it and got a Springfield XDM2 3.8". 19 in the clip. For me I can hit much better with the Springfield. The 3.8 can also be concealed with a little effort.

20. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Looking for a 9mm pistol for home security. Will not be a CC weapon. Dependable and ease of use is what I am looking for.
    Home defense & 9mm, you say? Just tossing out another possibility, here...

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-scorpi...3-s1-pistol-2/

Reasonably priced, 20+1 capacity and the ATF considers it a 'pistol'.

Mount a light and (if desired) your choice of reflex sight and you're GTG.

***Disclaimer*** No, I don't own one of the above... My "nightstand" weapon is the same as my daytime weapon (G30S); it just wears a light and a 13-round G21 magazine between dusk and dawn.
    Who controls John Gill?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast