Thread: Margay with 115

Margay with 115

Retired several months ago and am looking at new boats, a new Margay with a Merc 115 CT or Suzuki 115ss has me interested, was wondering as to performance, I know folks will tell me to get a 150 but 50 is more then enough for me, fishability is more important, thanks for any reply's.

2. Member
    My son has one. Great rig and sips the gas. It is weight sensitive. Two passengers slow it down....get the 150 four stroke

3. Member
    Maybe post your question here: https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...basscat-boats/
    You may get some input from BCB.
    I understand your desire to use the smaller engine as speed is not an interest, but do keep in mind the larger engine (if propped correctly) will also sip fuel. It will be less load sensitive while giving you a better hole shot and lower cruising RPM.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Get the 150. You can always throttle back to 2/3 rds and you'll get as good or better fuel economy as you would the 115 at wide open or 3/4. Plus, if you ever decide to sell the boat, it will sell better with the maximum HP for the hull. There's a bigger difference in the 150 than just the extra 35HP. I've NEVER heard somebody say "I wish I had gotten the smaller engine".
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

5. Member
    Better to have more & not use it than to need it & not have it

6. Member
    It’s totally up to you as far as what you’re looking for. I just saw a Margay for sale on Craigslist Lake of the Ozarks completely loaded with graphs and 10’ power poles with a 25hp Tohatsu . Guy says it’ll run in the upper 20s