Thread: Boat Dealers

Boat Dealers

I'm throwing around the idea of getting new boat. I'm up North here in Wisconsin and don't have many options for brands or dealers that are close. I have talked to a couple dealers and they are selling boats for basically the price that I get of the manufactures website. Is it because the low volume that they sell compared to southern dealers? Or, they sell them at the price because they know that they can? Is it worth driving 10 hours or more to buy a new boat from a dealer that is cheaper or stick with semi local and pay more?

2. Member
    How much more?
    $2,000 on a $60,000 boat, I would stay local.
    $5,000, or more, on a $60,000 boat. I would drive.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    This^. $60,000 boat for $58,000 doesn’t do you any good if you need a fairly simple repair and the local dealer puts you at the tail of the line. And don’t be too sure about their pricing until you pull out your checkbook. Every dealer wants to move product. That’s how they stay in business, stay in good with the manufacturer/s, and secure a solid customer base for service work.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    This^. $60,000 boat for $58,000 doesn’t do you any good if you need a fairly simple repair and the local dealer puts you at the tail of the line. And don’t be too sure about their pricing until you pull out your checkbook. Every dealer wants to move product. That’s how they stay in business, stay in good with the manufacturer/s, and secure a solid customer base for service work.
    Agreed but will point out that a reputable dealer may not always put you at the end of the line just because you bought somewhere else. While shopping a few years back I had one tell me they did that. They were out of business in a year. Then, a couple of years ago I look my boat to a large dealer in the area for motor work and said I was hoping to get it out soon because had a tournament and they took care of me. And now, there are at the top of my list for shopping for a new boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Call Tim at Hannays in Minneapolis if you are considering Basscat.

6. Member
    To get any kind of selection, you are gonna have to travel, not that big of a deal

Visit with the Bells at Cedar Lake Sales. Good people in business 50 years this week.

8. Member
    When I was in the military, we moved a lot. I never had any issues with dealers putting me at the back of the line. I even had dealers give me loner boats if the repair was going to take a while. Gotta love those 2000 Fichts.

9. Banned
    Depends on what you're looking for... Tin, fiberglass, performance or Ranger-like (), multi species or bass... There are a lot of great dealers out there. Do you homework. I've traveled over 2.5 to 5 hours from the house to get what I want. No local dealers offered Stratos or Bullets but the local Mercury dealer has performed my warranty work without a hitch... Dan

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    There are a lot of great dealers out there. Do you homework. I've traveled over 2.5 to 5 hours from the house to get what I want. No local dealers offered Stratos or Bullets but the local Mercury dealer has performed my warranty work without a hitch... Dan
    Similar scenario for me. I travelled 8 hours, and across an international border a month ago to get my new Cat from a great dealer. Final price was negotiated on the phone, and a good one at that. It is the second time I have bought a boat from him in the last six years. Like Dan, my local Mercury service centre performs all of my work, appreciates my business, and no long waiting times at all. I don't worry about boat warranty or repairs.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S