Mercury battery cables...

I'm in the process of making some new, an longer, battery cables for my '09 ProXS. I have some 4 gauge-5/16" & 3/8" lugs but the flanges/rings on the Anchor brand lugs aren't nearly as wide as the original Mercury lugs. I've spent a fair amount of time googlin' trying to find a wider ring terminal/lug for this application. But it seems what I have is what's available. Anyone have a lead on where I can get the wider flange ring terminal for 4 gauge battery leads? I figure the ones I have will work w/o problem but I kinna like the idea of the wider flanges - although I'm not really sure why that is.

following - I like their lugs also and would like to have some.

3. Member
    You can search on the internet. There are many vendors that will make up custom battery cables with any ends you want on them.

4. Member
    I have no problem making up my own custom fit cables. I have a problem locating a ring terminal/lug similar to what Mercury OEM’s on their cables.

5. Member
    Intact Jones Trolling Motor and see if he can supply.

Napa auto parts, Beldon copper lugs, you will need a hydraulic crimping tool to get the crimps rights
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Just drill out the hole with a step bit.

8. Member
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

9. Member
    Thanks guys.... I just went with the Anchor lugs like I have in the past.... Here a picture of the differences. It's not huge but I do like the wider flange better...

Depending on location and wire size I'll typically use a hydraulic crimper. The one I have came from Harbor Freight and has a slew of dies - that fit absolutely nothing... But can be made to work. The dies are hex dies and require multiple/staged crimps to keep from forcing the crimp tube out of the die. If a person takes their time and conducts staged crimps it will create some really nice looking crimps. I do as much of the crimping as I can at the vice - just makes it easier.

Simply can't get my camera to take clear close-ups. But this is, of course, after crimping 4 gauge lug...

And then double heat shrink....

Nice-- If you ever do find where to get those factory Merc lugs let us know>>
    I believe they are SS -- not only wider there also thiner.

11. Member
    Nice work Doug.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Nice-- If you ever do find where to get those factory Merc lugs let us know>>
    I believe they are SS -- not only wider there also thiner.
    Will do... Never know what'll turnip from one day to the next.... If I find'em you'll know!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Nice work Doug.
    Thank you!

13. Member
    Genuinedealz.com

They built all my cables and have heavy duty ring terminals which look similar to the mercury oem.

They can also make the cables to length. I expect they would do a better job of terminating a cable than i would.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Genuinedealz.com

They built all my cables and have heavy duty ring terminals which look similar to the mercury oem.

They can also make the cables to length. I expect they would do a better job of terminating a cable than i would.
    What he said. Use them quite a bit for much of my re-wiring jobs.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bqtoot View Post
    What he said. Use them quite a bit for much of my re-wiring jobs.
    Kind of hard for me to go that route... I route, lace, tie-wrap for custom install that fits w/o excess cable - usually. I terminate one end at the bench. Then install cable to fit and terminate the other end on the boat.