Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Lots of silver spoon boys in the upper tier of pro bass fishing.

Name them.

2. Banned
    My uncle was a golf pro. He owned a house painting business. He would line his guys out and take off.

3. Member
    This may have already been addressed but most if not all their expenses are tax deductible at the end of the year. I know some who pays no taxes during the year but gets a healthy return every year. Happens a lot and not just in fishing. Just a thought.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    This guy was a corporate banker.

Living his dreams

That brought a tear to my eye...

5. Member
    They will get audited eventually. To have a business you must make money 2/7 years. Irs won’t allow them to keep doing that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Lots of silver spoon boys in the upper tier of pro bass fishing.

Such as?

7. Member
    I did extremely well in 2013 fishing loal tournaments within 4 hours. So in 2014, I fished the entire flw tour as a co angler. I was amazed how many of these guys were paying entry fees with credit cards and praying to cash a check. I also realized these guys didn't just fish, the went to every boat show, dealership event, and anywhere else they could wear a jersey and get a small check. So much work to basically break even just for the dream that they could be one of the 10 anglers on the tour that made decent money. So I did the smart thing and kept my day job.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiget10 View Post
    They will get audited eventually. To have a business you must make money 2/7 years. Irs won’t allow them to keep doing that.
    It's not that difficult to claim a small profit to not show a loss each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Panichunter View Post
    It's not that difficult to claim a small profit to not show a loss each year.
    Sure, as long as you don't fully claim all of your expenses.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panichunter View Post
    I did extremely well in 2013 fishing loal tournaments within 4 hours. So in 2014, I fished the entire flw tour as a co angler. I was amazed how many of these guys were paying entry fees with credit cards and praying to cash a check. I also realized these guys didn't just fish, the went to every boat show, dealership event, and anywhere else they could wear a jersey and get a small check. So much work to basically break even just for the dream that they could be one of the 10 anglers on the tour that made decent money. So I did the smart thing and kept my day job.
    I remember Casey Martin on Circuit Breaker saying that when he got a check. " The credit card company will be happy ". He made some good money and sort of retired to be a guide on Guntersville. Seems to be doing well.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    There's a few local guys around here that do just that. I'd be curious to know how much they've made over the past 4 years or so, including the earnings on the boats they've won.
    It's not as easy as it was a few years ago to do that, a lot of mid level multi day trails, have folded like the old CPAA.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiget10 View Post
    Depends on the business.

13. Member
    FLW or BASS or whatever tour.. Writing a check for 40-50k each year up front with no guarantee sure would make my butt pucker. I was in 100% commission for a few years and that was enough to make me understand its not my thing. I like my pay every 2 weeks

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Name them.
    Not polite to name names but that's absolutely correct.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Name them.
    Boyd Duckett, Scott Martin, Gary Yamamoto... Not saying they didn't work hard to get where they are but... Since his Classic win, BD hasn't done anything to stay on the pro tour, hence the creation of the BPsT... Scott Martin is talented but having Roland Martin as a Dad helped immensely... Mr. Yamamoto is a very successful business man who like BD is a good fisherman... More power to each one of them, they've taken advantage of the circumstances... Dan

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Boyd Duckett, Scott Martin, Gary Yamamoto... Not saying they didn't work hard to get where they are but... Since his Classic win, BD hasn't done anything to stay on the pro tour, hence the creation of the BPsT... Scott Martin is talented but having Roland Martin as a Dad helped immensely... Mr. Yamamoto is a very successful business man who like BD is a good fisherman... More power to each one of them, they've taken advantage of the circumstances... Dan
    Didnt BD have successful businesses prior to getting into fishing? Didnt Martin win co-angler of the year prior to going pro ? Not sure of the Yamamato history.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345