Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Do musicians travel the country paying fees to enter a competition with 140 other musicians hoping to win their own money back?

Golf Pros?
    Tennis Pros?
    Fortnite Pros?
    Drone racing pros?
    Drag racing?
    Dirt track?
    Stock car?
    Snow board pros?

They all cost, and few will actually make some form of money above expenses.

2. BassBlood
    Do musicians travel the country paying fees to enter a competition with 140 other musicians hoping to win their own money back?
    no but pro poker players do. Sorry, fishing is gambling.

Now, Musicians may play all day and not make a dime or just play for tips. No healthcare, no retirement, no big endorsement deals.....and you don't hear them crying.

These pros thought they were so valuable in the industry. This BPT experiment proved they were not. BASS is still strong, companies still selling tackle without Skeet or Timmy Horton or Boyd Duckett or Jordan Lee pitching their products. Pros will be worth a lot less moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Same way the guys do it at the dirt tracks on Saturday and Sunday. Same way the guys do it at the drag strip on Saturday and Sunday... Got to have the drive... Dan

Yep....you either want it or don't. All the guys that talk about they could compete at that level if they just had the money is nothing but talking loud.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBlood View Post

Now, Musicians may play all day and not make a dime or just play for tips. No healthcare, no retirement, no big endorsement deals.....and you don't hear them crying.

These pros thought they were so valuable in the industry. This BPT experiment proved they were not. BASS is still strong, companies still selling tackle without Skeet or Timmy Horton or Boyd Duckett or Jordan Lee pitching their products. Pros will be worth a lot less moving forward.
    Good point.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never really been one to buy a product just because a pro endorses it. There's things that I know work very well for how I fish, and there's extremely popular tackle items and lures out there that a lot of pros endorse that just do not fit my style of fishing.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    In my younger days I dreamed fishing BASS would be the most awesome thing a man could do for a living/job. After a few years of fishing tournaments and watching what and how the pros had to live and the costs associated with the lifestyle I said No Thank You!
    More power to the ones that can do it but it wasn't for me.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    People just have different dreams that they chase. I really respect those that get out there and try to make them come true.
    Absolutely.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

7. Banned
    Who cares how they afford doing it, none of my business and I wish them the best of luck. Never understood why people care about how people spend their money or how they make it.

8. Member
    Pro Bass fishing is gambling. You are betting your entry fee that you are better than at least half the field and hoping you are the best of all of them. Very few make it to the top tier but those that do can make some serious money. I applaud all of them for taking the chance to fulfill a dream.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. Banned

I thought we were talking about the FLW? I hope you are charging Boyd rent for that space he occupies in your brain...lol

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Is it that much different than people aspiring to be professional musicians, golf pros, etc?
    No, I always say if you want to hear some hard luck stories, just listen to country music singers and "professional" bass fishermen. My thinking, it probably is a difficult path, but you chose it.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Who cares how they afford doing it, none of my business and I wish them the best of luck. Never understood why people care about how people spend their money or how they make it.

Read the posts here about guys considering buying a new or new to them boat.

12. BassBlood
    I thought we were talking about the FLW? I hope you are charging Boyd rent for that space he occupies in your brain...lol
    we are talking about pros and how much money they make. This BPT experiment just proved to their sponsors.....pros are not worth as much as they thought :)

Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post

14. Member
    From the few that I have met, they were small business owners and very proud of the fact that they could take the time to practice and fish. Hard working guys chasing a dream. I heard mention of a couple that were living out of their truck and not sure where the money was going to come from. That is not the way to do it.

15. Banned
    we are talking about pros and how much money they make. This BPT experiment just proved to their sponsors.....pros are not worth as much as they thought :)
    Topic was all the pros on the FLW tour in unwrapped boats, ie: no sponsors.

16. Banned
    Just because a truck and boat aren't wrapped doesn't mean they don't have sponsors. That's what the jersey and hat are for... Just like the old days... When a truck and boat are parked it's a billboard, when is moving it's just a blur, if you didn't know what is said beforehand it's just a multi-colored rig going by... Maybe the pros in question just put the money towards a better use than a $2000 plastic covered wrapper... Dan

17. Member
    I thought the topic was about watching fishing while working and getting distracted from those tasks by random factoids and musings
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Is it that much different than people aspiring to be professional musicians, golf pros, etc?
    Well, those guys are morons, too.

All things considered, fishing your way into bankruptcy might not be a bad way to go.

The reality is, that most of us just manage the trip down that path a little better, so we never actually get there.

Most expensive bag of golf clubs it a lot cheaper than a bargain basement bass boat :)

20. Banned
    Some live on credit cards and some are independently wealthy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast