2005 F90 charging

Put in a new voltage regulator last year do to no charging issue. Started it up tested with multi meter and the voltage went to 14+ with no problems. Had the boat out twice this year and checked it again seems to not be charging again. Battery before start at rest was about 12.38, started the motor dropped to 12.28 and then went up to 12.33. Any ideas on what is going on? This is also a new battery.

Thanks
    gdi

2. Member
    If the regulator is not outputting nominal voltage then the lighting coil should be inspected to see if it is within specification. If the lighting coil has low voltage then the coil is defective. If the lighting coil has the correct voltage then the regulator is presumed to be kaput.

I would question why the new battery only had 12.38 volts at rest before starting the motor. That is somewhat low.

The battery was at 13.38 at rest after I used it that day. I tested the charge as soon as I got home and never recharged the battery. Is the lighting coil the same as the stator? Also is there a easy test I could do to check the coil?

Thanks

4. Member
    The lighting coils are part of the stator assembly.

The rectifier/regulator is disconnected from the lighting coil. The lighting coil is then tested to see if it is producing the voltages specified in the service manual. If so, it is the R/R. If not, it is the lighting coil.

I would have the battery fully charged before doing anything else. Then measure it with the motor at a fast idle to see what the output voltage is to the battery.

Update
    Put in a new VR. Before starting battery was 12.43 resting. Started up the motor volts went right up 13.50 and settled down to about 13.36. Brought the rpms up to 1000 and the volts went up to 13.53-13.62. Hope this takes care of the issue.
    Thanks for the help.
    gdi

6. Member
    Glad you got it fixed but puzzled why the vr from last year failed so soon.

That's got me too. Will see if this one holds up.

Ok finally got the boat out for a week on vacation. Stared with the battery fully charged. Volts on the the gsp at idle 30's. when I went out and got the rpms up over 1000 volts went up around 15. After using 2 locators for a few hours and then running the volts went up to the 16s and at times went over 17 volts. Seemed the more the battery was drained then the volts ran higher.
    Good or Bad????

Thanks
    gdi

Well the 3rd regulator didn't do the job either. Took it out today started it up charged at 14.51volts. Worked my way out of the no wake area and started to give it some gas and seemed at about 3000 rpms the charging stopped and that was it. Checked on both multi-meter and gps. Got home checked it one more time and not charging at all. So I guess it in to the shop.

gdi

Ttt

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    Well the 3rd regulator didn't do the job either. Took it out today started it up charged at 14.51volts. Worked my way out of the no wake area and started to give it some gas and seemed at about 3000 rpms the charging stopped and that was it. Checked on both multi-meter and gps. Got home checked it one more time and not charging at all. So I guess it in to the shop.

gdi
    where are you getting the voltage regulators from? CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

They are OEM parts. It's in the shop now, waiting to here but they thought it could be the stator.

Got the news on the problem. The stator needs to be replaced and the will fix the problem. Hope to have it back by the weekend.

Thanks for all the help.

gdi