Smith Mountain Lake - how is the fishing?

The weird thing this is my first trip to SML. Why that is weird I lived in Short Pump for a number of years and never fished SML. I have the small things figured out with my trip on the last week of this month, just a little over a week away.

I plan on fishing from daybreak to at least when the boat traffice gets to heavy, maybe I will get lucky and it will rain keeping some boats off the lake. I'm betting on just a little relief on all the traffic during the weekdays. I'm not even planning to put the boat in on Saturday.

With that said where do you think I would have the best opportunity. Like I said I'm a virgin on this lake and it's big. I have enough power and speed to travel to any place in the lake. I just don't know where to fish. Should I hit the coves, points, deep water, or head up the lake away from the dam. Should I fish the right or left fork, I can't think of the names right now.

I'm sure I will learn and adjust each day but if you can cut down on the learning process that would be great. Oh yeah I will be fishing alone for the most part. If you see the white Skeeter with the breast cancer decals say hello that would be me. Lots of pink on the boat to support my wife.

2. Member
    I forgot to add I will be staying about midway between the rt 122 bridge and SML State Park.

Either arm doesn't really matter if you're first timer. I would pick a creek close to where you're staying (Becky's or Betty's creek would work) and fish some deeper docks with shaky heads. Main channel points in the mornings with topwater is never a bad idea. You could run up into the Roanoke River arm way above the 122 bridge and possibly find some shallow fish on brush.

During the weekdays the boat traffic might not be too bad. Regardless, it's still fun to fish that lake at night, and relatively easy to navigate. The only main lake hazards you might want to be aware of are the islands at the mouth of the Roanoke splits, and heading into Craddock Creek.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I would have to agree with Meadows .... Topwater in the morning on steep banks and rocky bluffs, then a small shaky head along those same banks and some docks.

5. Member
    Life sometimes takes the bad roads. I'm hoping to make the trip but I got a kidney stone over the weekend. Long story short I'm now in the hospital with kidney issues. One number is way to low and the other way to high after the blood test. So i have a little more than a kidney stone.

Not my first kidney stone but at over 5mm it is the biggest.

We did get some good news my wife has recovered from breast cancer. She was feeling good and it was signs the cancer may spread to her brain. The MRI came back with good news. No signs of cancer.

In any event I'm hoping for some good news on my kidney and will be at least happy when it does pass. Worst case would be if i recover enough for the trip and the wife drives we will be going without the boat. She is not comfortable enough to pull the boat.

You never know what life will throw at you, so always make the best of whatever comes your way. Sorry to hear about your kidney problems, but great news that your girl has received. Get yourself well and healthy, the lake will be here whenever you are able to make the trip. Best of luck, wish you a speedy recovery.

7. Member
    Well technically I'm in kidney failure as the numbers have not improved. It's been non stop IV so I'm hoping for better numbers tomorrow. Kidney doctor said I probably should delay my trip. However she said I could go provided my numbers improve and I get a blood test on Saturday. The worse news is no drinking beer. The stone is still there so if I don't pass it not sure what they will do. I think that is part of the reason she doesn't want me to go. She said it may not get out of the bladder in a friendly way.

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Trip is on. Taking boat is a judgement I will make tomorrow. Kidney stone was crushed and removed today. It was 8mm and not 5m. Have to get a blood test for my kidneys tomorrow. Plus last night I got gout in my toes, now somewhat getting better. Thus depending on how I feel tomorrow thr boat is 50/50. Depending on my blood test I may have to come home early.

I could look at all the bad things but I choose to look at the food things. I can put a chair on the dock and fish with live bait setting on a chair. Can't drink any more beer so I will learn to like lemonade. Not going to adjust the full diet until after vacation.

If my wife was comfortable trailering the boat I would take it period. However she is a great ramp driver but not so much on the road. If my gout acts up on the way down she will need to drive.

Lol it has been many many years I use to bank fish the Allegheny with my father. But you know what those were great times. He was after walleye but he would always stop and pickup some dough ball so I could have some fun with the carp.

10. Member
    Fx20 - Hope you make the trip and stay safe.

Can I ask for advice on Bull Run and Little Bull Run? Fish them the same as the recommendations provided to Fx20? I will be there Sat/Sun 29/30.
    Out of these, which one should I start in? Bull Run(s), Gill's or run up the Blackwater River? I'll be up there at daylight saturday to get in a few hours.

Also best public ramp in the area? Scrugg's is the only one I have found close to where I will be staying (Wirtz, Burnt Poplar Rd).

Thanks guys.

FX 20, did you make the trip ? Didn’t hear anything from you . Hope your kidney stone trouble got better. Took my boat out this morning, first trip in a month, trolling motor quit. Sounds like a bearing inside, shop says maybe 5 weeks. I would have tore it apart myself if they had told me that before I made an hour and a half drive to drop it off.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain Man View Post
    FX 20, did you make the trip ? Didn’t hear anything from you . Hope your kidney stone trouble got better. Took my boat out this morning, first trip in a month, trolling motor quit. Sounds like a bearing inside, shop says maybe 5 weeks. I would have tore it apart myself if they had told me that before I made an hour and a half drive to drop it off.
    Just curious where you took your trolling motor to be worked on. I've never had a problem out of mine, but you never know when it will happen.

Southside Marine in Clarksville. They are Minn Kota service center. Fixed broke shaft couple years ago under warranty, that job was quick. They were open today so I yanked it off and away I went. Had to fight temptation to stay out of Bobcats tackle shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Just curious where you took your trolling motor to be worked on. I've never had a problem out of mine, but you never know when it will happen.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

14. Member
    Well I made the trip. I got out of the hospital on Friday. Left with a stint from my kidney to bladder and gout in my left foot. We got to SML on Saturday but I never got the boat in until Monday. I hurt to much to do as much fishing as I would have like to.

The good news I found a lot of bass in a very big lake. Really it was by accident. I wasn't up to long rides so I spent all my time fishing along the state park. I only picked that location because it was a super short ride and had the least amount of traffic.

Dumb luck I hit bass every trip and more than a couple. Even stranger is what was working. The water was around 81 degrees. I did the normal thing fishing the points and deep water. No luck. So i was bored and figured i would just play with the pan fish near the banks. I used a yellow jointed repella. Well it turns out there are enough rock ledges and the rest was history I was catching bass every trip. I never moved from the state park.

I wished I was feeling well enough to fish more each day but I caught my fair share of fish this week.