1998 202 live well pump

I was hoping someone could help me out. My Live well pump has gone out, could someone tell me what pump I need to buy? I would like to have the new pump on hand when I go and start taking batteries out, that way I can do it all in one day.
    Also, is the live well fill and live well recirculate the same pump?

Thanks in advance.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The fill and recirculate pumps are separate if you have Aerate and Hydro switches. The same pump will work for both applications, Johnson 38503 (500 gph).

3. Member
    Thank you Tx. Champ, do you know where the recirculating pump is located? I only remember seeing two pumps under the batteries.

Thanks again

4. Member
    I take it I have two pumps because below the shift lever I have an auto/manual switch and timer, Which I need to get a new timer.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If you don't have two switches, Aerate and the other Hydro, then you'll have just the one pump. The Hydro pump, if there is on the back of the livewell. Post a pic of youor livewell controls. Some Tournament models just had the Aerate switch with a Auto/Manual switch. Auto was on a fixed timer so that once the livewell was filled, it would run for a prescribed amout of time and over-flow the livewell with fresh water. If you had the both Aerate and Hydro, there was also a knob so that you could vary the run time. Both switches utilized the timer in Auto mode. In Manual, they bypassed the timer function and switched 12v directly to the brown wires going to the pumps.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 06-14-2019 at 08:11 AM.

6. Member
    I would use a 1000 GPH, 750 GPH minimum.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    I would use a 1000 GPH, 750 GPH minimum.
    Not if he has just the Aerate function. You'll pump water in faster than the overflow will let it out

8. Member
    I do believe I have both. The pump for the Hydro is behind the carpeted cover board? Also are these pumps the ones where you just by the motor?
    Thanks again. A65865E5-C514-4816-ACAB-39297F65A619.jpeg

9. Member
    Is there a way to do a pump out, what would that intel?

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl77 View Post
    I do believe I have both. The pump for the Hydro is behind the carpeted cover board? Also are these pumps the ones where you just by the motor?
    You just have the one switch, tells me you have just one pump and it will be in the bilge. Placing the switch in Man runs the pump continuously to fill the livewell. Placing it in Auto, the run time is set by the Run Time knob. So, you fill the livewell to where it hits the overflow near the top of the livewell then switch to Auto to pump fresh water in at whatever run time you set the timer for. If you had the recirculate pump, it would be behind the carpeted panel in the front of the tank compartment. The pump I gave you the number for above is a cartridge pump, so yoou would just buy the cartridge going forward.

Here is a shot of the bilge of the 93 201 I had.

A shot of the recirculate pump and pump-out valve (upper left)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl77 View Post
    Is there a way to do a pump out, what would that intel?
    I think in your case, would be a PVC T just forward of your drain valve, and a pump sitting on the T portion with the output to your through hull fitting. You'd need a switch in the cockpit to control it.

11. Member
    Thank you for your knowledge Tx. Champ.
    Seeing your message I realized that I forgot to post a pic of the toggle switch that is in the cluster that also is for the live well. The pic I posted was the switch and knob below the shift lever, but I also have a switch in the panel cluster that works the live well system. I can barely see the writing on the switch pic I posted, it says Hydro but I can not see the writing on the other switch that is in the cockpit cluster.
    Sorry for the confusion.