Fuel guage testing

1992 201. Last time out, fuel gauge worked fine. Was not working today. I assume that circuit is fused. I have never been under the dash on my boat. Is there a fuse panel there and does it contain a fuel sender fuse?

I had a Garmin Livescope installed last week and there was obviously some wiring changes made to accommodate that, so that could be the problem as well.

How do I test the guage?

How do I test the sending unit?

Wayne

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The fuel gauge is not fused. There is a link for troubleshooting in my thread pinned on the Champion forum page, Champion Information and OEM Links for more Champ info

3. Member
    Got it. I need to start checking the pinned links first.

Thanks,

Wayne

4. Member
    OK, I think I just made a reasonably easy job a lot harder. I checked the sending unit and it seems OK. Got about a 80 Ohm reading with about a half tank of fuel.

I pulled the gauge out of the dash so I could get to the terminals. Removed the pink sender wire and turned the key on. Gauge did nothing as it was already showing below empty.

Then, and HERE IS THE BIG OOPS: When I went to hook the jumper from the S Terminal to ground, I let the test lead that was hooked to the S terminal touch the Hot wire on the I Terminal. Heard a pop and the lights on the dash that were went out. So, I start looking for fuses and all I can find is a series of re settable breakers under the dash. I pushed each one but nothing happened. I also checked the 20 AMP re settable breaker in the bilge. I pushed it as well but it did not move.

Any suggestions.

Edit: I need to know where the main protection for the 12v circuit to the instrument cluster is located. That is what is wrong. I do not have power to the cluster. I thought is was the 20A re settable breaker in the bilge area, but if it is, it won't reset. Everything seems to work except the cluster lights, jack plate indicator lights, tach light, fuel gauge, etc.

I found the problem with the fuel gauge and I am probably the only person in the world that has ever had this happen. The gauge was stuck waaay below empty. Stuck tight as in would not move at all. I tried to troubleshoot it under the dash and that's when I caused the shorted the 12v circuit. After that I took the gauge out and what was wrong with it was the indicator needle got stuck between the face of the guage and the inside of the lens/bezel. It cannot be taken apart to get it loose, so I smacked it on my palm pretty hard and the indicator needle broke. Not the needle floats freely but is about 1/8" shorter than it was. The broke off end of it is still stuck where it was.

Wayne
    Last edited by WayneM1946; 06-14-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: update

5. Member
    Finally found the fuse. It was in a wad of wires stuffed up under the gunnel. 10A glass in-line fuse. I have to go get a replacement before putting it back together. I am going to replace the fuel gauge with a new Teleflex one while I have it out since the indicator needle is broken on mine.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sounds like school has been in session ...

7. Member
    There must be 50 feet of excess wire under the instrument panel. Looks like a backlash on a cheap bait caster.

Wayne

Fuel gauges are as worthless as trim gauges and speedos. NEVER trust any of the three. Lift the lid and look to see how much fuel you have.