Battery Monitor hook-up

I am hoping one of you guys has put a battery monitor on your trolling motor bank. Mine is three 12v batteries. I have not received it yet and am trying to get organized. The shunt has 2 wires that go to the battery bank. The minus hooks to the negative lead to the motor. The + sense wire hooks to either the + terminal that goes to the TM or the plus terminal on the battery the minus is hooked to. I think I want it on the plus lead to the battery so I show 36+ volts but my charger has individual charge circuits and don't think the monitor can see those charging amps going in. The other way I will see the charging amps but will get no info on the other 2 bats. Including the total voltage. I may be very confused on this and would appreciate any light that can be shed on this. By the way this was a giveaway for purchasing the Batteries. I may be getting what I paid for. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 06-13-2019 at 10:45 PM.

2. Member
    Been digging deeper: c. For multi-bank charging systems, connect the shunt and voltage sense wire to the battery that has the positive terminal of the system. This will allow the fuel gauge to monitor one battery to represent all the batteries in the system.
    It sounds to me like I have a monitor for 1 battery unless I buy a new 36 volt charger. Probably why they are giving them away. I could triple the voltage to get a ballpark voltage for the bank. I think I will find another use for the monitor. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 06-13-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

3. Member
    If not on 36v, put it on cranking battery.
    Wes

4. Member
    Either that or on my house battery. Thanks
    Update: I will try it on the battery suggested by my battery supplier. When I thought about it,3 new batteries in series should allow them to be very close to equal so the percentage for depth of charge should be accurate. After all the combined voltage is probably the least essential number anyway. Lithium voltages are close to flat till 80 or 90% discharged anyway. We shall see. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 06-17-2019 at 08:58 AM.