Which Vinyl Wrap Are you Using?

I'm thinking about redoing my switch panel, bow panel, and open panel (to the right of my knee on my TR-196) and I was wondering which vinyl is everyone else using. I see 3M and several others but I can't really tell which is easy to work with or would look the best. I'm wanting to do black or dark grey carbon fiber.

Are there any tip or tricks you would give? Is there a board sponsor that sells what would be needed?

2. Member
    Check out this textured wrap. I have used it and tested it quite a bit. You can order a small sample to try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x60-MATT...e/131087329915

3. Member
    Thanks Doug. What color and gloss did you go with? Would you be able to post any pictures of some of the work you did with it? I'm checking it out right now on their website and they have a lot of options.

4. mikesxpress
    Reworked the Ranger dash panels. The dissimilar metal corrosion on them is now abated and 10 mil Naval Special Warfare digital boat team camo applied. I'll never have to mess with them again. *This particular Arlon castable film is not available to the public.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 06-20-2019 at 05:23 AM.

5. mikesxpress
    If your going to vinyl wrap a marine item become an informed buyer 1st. Buying stuff off Ebay isn't going to cut it if your looking for longevity and durability. Premium film will be a minimum of 6 mil with 8 & 10 in the top %. It must have a top layer of UV protection or it's worthless on a boat. Lots of tips and tricks to apply these products on complex items the average person isn't going to know. Bottom line is it's allot more involved than just putting on a sticker.

Here is an article to get started:
    https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/m...ping-your-boat

And another from Arlon:
    https://www.arlon.com/na_en/support/...icle-wrap-film

Arlon has lots of videos and information on there website.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 06-20-2019 at 05:21 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingKY View Post
    Thanks Doug. What color and gloss did you go with? Would you be able to post any pictures of some of the work you did with it? I'm checking it out right now on their website and they have a lot of options.
    The link should be taking you to a matte flat black textured vinyl. That is the only product there I have tested. I have two large strips on my boat now to test. Been on there for over a year and it looks good. I'm going to refinish some spots on the hull with it. That is why I tested so long.

7. Member
    Looks good

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

8. Member
    So I found out the company that places the vinyl on all of our fleet vehicles uses AveryDennison in a 3.5mil. This includes over 300 vehicles (cars, trucks, vans) that are handled roughly at times, and they last 5+ years until the new marketing designs come out. Knowing this and after doing some more research I decided to go with vVivid Premium True R Black Carbon. It was recommended by several on here and a couple of folks I spoke to. It is 3.8mil, marine safe, UV treated, and very conformable. Since I'm just messing around with a few trim pieces and having a little fun until Don gets my injectors done I think this will be good. It is rated for 5 to 7 years but with the boat being garaged when not used I think it will go longer than that.

Next questions: for the trim rings on the dash; how do they come off and can I go over the wood grain? I'll also ask this over on the Triton page
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    I second that, lose that wood grain! I don't have 1st hand experience on the trim rings but I disassemble cars and assume they are similar. If you can't get to the back side, they must be clipped on. After the gauge is out, use a plastic pry tool. OR, a good (experienced) installer of vinyl would probably just lay the vinyl over, conform it then trim and tuck. I've done tinting for 30 years but wrapping is a bit different animal with the tricks.

This guy on YouTube is amazing and shows tons of tricks. Guarantee he would not remove them unless they pop off easy. I like 3M carbon fiber but vVivid is a big industry name. Probably can't go wrong with them.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcv...y_cHZOmg3KGsOg

10. Member
    Each manufacturer has a good better best. I recommend 3m ij180 cv3. Great air release. Also anywhere the wrap is in the water make sure to use an edge sealer.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    send them out for hydrodipping!