Thread: Blades

Blades

So, I wanted to do a little iron testing, so I had my Cobra rep send me a set of MB/CB irons. I haven't played blades in a long time so I wanted to give it a try. After a couple of practice sessions and rounds, I don't find a whole lot of difference in the blades vs my Ping I210s. The Pings are a 1/2 club longer due to the lofts and 10 gram lighter shafts, spin is about the same, and I hit them in almost the same window as the Pings. My misses come up short which is what I expect with blades. So what give is what you get and they are very predictable.

Cobra equipment is very underrated IMO.

2. Member
    Nice report.
    I had the same finding with Mizuno MP 65.
    Loved the feel, but didn’t play enough to be consistent.
    Went overboard with with RSI II Taylor Made and gave them up 2 years ago.
    now have Taylor made 790 and love them.
    Forged and as close to Blade as you can get without being a blade.
    Changing Shaft weight was a big factor in accuracy during the fitting.
    Last edited by Bearetta; 06-29-2019 at 09:10 PM.

3. Member
    Years ago when I played a lot I had a combo set of irons, 3-6 irons were forged cavity backs and 7-PW and wedges were blades, I really liked them, never could hit the long blade irons consistently. I lost about 10 yards on mishits with blades compared to mishits for the cavity backs with the same club.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Yeah, I really don't believe that the clubhead makes that much difference. A bad strike is a bad strike and no club will complete erase strike. You give up distance with blades due the face not flexing like a lot of irons on the market today, but you also don't get the inconsistent distances.

Like Lee Trevino said...its not the arrow, its the Indian.

5. Member
    I have always played blades and don't like the heavy look of cavity backs especially on the top.

6. Member
    I tried blades years ago, Wilson Staff's that my Grandpa gave to me. I had a very consistent shot and distance (as long as I did my job) but lost like 3 club lengths over the cavity back set I was using at the time.

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Played 18 today with my Ping I210s back in the bag and the scores weren't any different.

8. Member
    Taylor Made P790
    Strong lofts
    Thinner top line.
    Solid.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FDR80 View Post
    Taylor Made P790
    Strong lofts
    Thinner top line.
    Solid.

10. Member
    I laugh at the distances folks say they hit irons anymore because many folks don’t compare lofts. These manufacturers have really pulled a good one on many golfers. Lofts on mid and long irons have been tweaked 1-2 degrees on most of the cavity back and game improvement irons. So folks think they hit a 7 iron longer. They don’t realize the loft is more like a 6 or even a shade stronger. Blades are hard to beat if you get a good quality forging like mizuno, titleist, or even the fancy miura’s. But I don’t play more than 6-7 times a year anymore. So, I went to a cavity back set of Bridgestone’s last year because the set I liked in mizuno didn’t make a 3 iron. I noticed I hit my 7 iron about a club longer in the bridgestone’s. Then compared against my mizuno blades I gave up and realized it was 2 degrees stronger. I believe there is more to be gained with the golf ball and shafts than the club heads anymore. Just my .02!

This past Christmas I bought a set (4-pw) of raw Kyoei iron heads and wedge heads (50,56,60) from Tourspec. I ground them and shaped them on my Harbor Freight 1" belt/disk sander combo. Weighed them as I shaped them to the weight I wanted. Bent them to 2* upright. Shafted them with some Aldila NV-3 graphite shafts I got new for pennies on the dollar. Currently I reshafted them with Recoil F3's I had from a different set of irons.
    These blades are like butter. Absolutely love them and nothing is better than grinding your own clubs to your specs then playing them. These are very easy blades to hit.

If anyone is a club tinkerer/ club builder needs to get a set of these. For the 4-pw they are only $350. The wedge heads are around $150. If you were to get the same irons professionally finished in Japan the iron heads alone are $1800.
    The ones I have are raw so they will rust if not treated. I sprayed rust prohibitor on them and they have a nice patina to them.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

12. Member
    My first set of nice clubs were Maxfli Austrailian blades. Nice clubs, small sweet spot, easy to work. Just picked up a set 718 ap1 4 thru 48 plus 3 SM7 wedges.....$525. Demo set from a proshop clearing out for new Titleist irons coming out. Almost new. Put extentions in and bent 2 upright. Very nice clubs but they are not forged blades.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    My first set of nice clubs were Maxfli Austrailian blades. Nice clubs, small sweet spot, easy to work. Just picked up a set 718 ap1 4 thru 48 plus 3 SM7 wedges.....$525. Demo set from a proshop clearing out for new Titleist irons coming out. Almost new. Put extentions in and bent 2 upright. Very nice clubs but they are not forged blades.
    And yes, the lofts are very strong. PW is 43, 7 iron is 30

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FDR80 View Post
    Taylor Made P790
    Strong lofts
    Thinner top line.
    Solid.
    I went for a fitting last night, and tried the new ones. They are LONG. Tried the new Titleist T200 also, which was really nice, but I think the P790's will end up in my bag sometime this fall.