Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So what is soo active about Active Imaging?????

Besides I guess realigning the Elements in the transducer, and a software enhancement.

What makes it active???

Are the FINALLY CHIRPing the SS and DS or what???

2. Member
    Also would be curious if anyone has tried plugging a 2N1 into an LSS-1 or SSHD box, not sure if those cared about Xid. Or tried it on a gen3, I know its not compatible, but would b curious the results.

3. Member
    It's a bit of a gimmick/marketing thing. Doesn't actually mean much other than the elements are better directed. It's not like images are active and moving or live to look at etc.

"Active Imaging is a new scanning sonar technology that provides incredibly detailed, high resolution imaging sonar without sacrificing any range. The Active Imagingtransducers accomplish this by better directing the SideScan beams which increases resolution and improves range performance."

SS3D uses better directed elements and extra elements (7 total) so you could say it's Active Imaging too by Lowrance own definition.
    Active Imaging is just a marketing name to differentiate it from totalscan. It's like a camera that takes a photo not quite in focus VS one that is in focus - same megapixel resolution, just one the detail is clearer. So who'd buy the camera that gives the blurry photos?

4. Member
    I'm hoping this effect enhances the new ss3D active imaging transducer whenever it comes out

5. Member
    no, no chirp on SS and DS at all, no high frequency like 1k+ at all, it's just a total scan with another eyeball catching name
    Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1

6. Member
    The effect possibly wont make any difference. As I said above the elements are already positioned better in the current SS3D.
    I expect the new AI SS3D will simply add back 800hz. The current SS3D did have 455/800hz during testing but we only got 455hz to give us a reason to upgrade when AI SS3D its released.

7. Member
    I think 800khz (plus some ;) ) would be nice in the 3D. I wonder if it is possible to enhance bandwidth or amperage of ss3D ... Which I think is kinda the g3 remedy for MEGA with HB.

Quote Originally Posted by wetaline2 View Post
    The effect possibly wont make any difference. As I said above the elements are already positioned better in the current SS3D.
    I expect the new AI SS3D will simply add back 800hz. The current SS3D did have 455/800hz during testing but we only got 455hz to give us a reason to upgrade when AI SS3D its released.
    What if proposed AI is already built into the current SS3d transducer....but 800hz is being blocked. Introduce the NEW AI SSd but still producing the same SS3d transducer minus the "block". Producing the same transducer (without the block) would have a big impact on production costs. Great marketing tool. More money to line the pockets and hopefully R & D.

Just a crazy theory....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

9. Member
    Thats crazy if true that they are not CHIRPing side and down.
    I kinda thought maybe that was the key to Ai for the improved images.
    I know bird does it and i think garmin also.
    So no law suits too worry about.
    I thought Lowrance should have started CHIRPing SS and DS before birds Mega came out.
    Maybe i will take a graph to work and hook a spectrum analyzer up and see.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    What if proposed AI is already built into the current SS3d transducer....but 800hz is being blocked. Introduce the NEW AI SSd but still producing the same SS3d transducer minus the "block". Producing the same transducer (without the block) would have a big impact on production costs. Great marketing tool. More money to line the pockets and hopefully R & D. Just a crazy theory....
    I have a feeling this is exactly what we will see. They have "blocked" 800hz in the current SS3D. It's pretty clear why...

11. Member
    Fact:
    Active Imaging is a marketing name, hatched out by spindoctors in the marketing departement.

Guestimate:
    Chirp for scanning sonar is not THAT helpful, simply because the processing involved is to hard for our units (regardless of brand) to get the desired effect on our screens. Scanning sonar is still a lot about bottom structure, and for that there is nothing better then fixed frequenzy in the pricerange most of us shop in. Same with 2D, if you are looking for structure on 2D use fixed frequenzy.

I`m pretty sure the AI-transducers give better images due to having better quality ceramic elements, combined with changes in signal-processing in the units. I would love to see x-rays of a 3 in 1/2 in 1 next to a TotalScan/ LSS-2 though. There is a difference in physical dimmension, and that difference probably relates to the ceramic elements. So if anyone has a contact within their local hospital, please get to it and get us those x-rays. :)

What I`m still waiting for, and I suspect I will have to keep on waiting, is for the improved images on my HDS to transfer to the sonarlog as well. I see no difference what so ever in sonarlogs with old transducers and AI-transducers, and I find that a bit strange.

12. Member
    I see a small improvement in 3in1 sonarlog quality over totalscan

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    I see a small improvement in 3in1 sonarlog quality over totalscan
    Using which head unit?

14. Member
    Elite ti

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Fact:
    Active Imaging is a marketing name, hatched out by spindoctors in the marketing departement.

Guestimate:
    Chirp for scanning sonar is not THAT helpful, simply because the processing involved is to hard for our units (regardless of brand) to get the desired effect on our screens. Scanning sonar is still a lot about bottom structure, and for that there is nothing better then fixed frequenzy in the pricerange most of us shop in. Same with 2D, if you are looking for structure on 2D use fixed frequenzy.

I`m pretty sure the AI-transducers give better images due to having better quality ceramic elements, combined with changes in signal-processing in the units. I would love to see x-rays of a 3 in 1/2 in 1 next to a TotalScan/ LSS-2 though. There is a difference in physical dimmension, and that difference probably relates to the ceramic elements. So if anyone has a contact within their local hospital, please get to it and get us those x-rays. :)

What I`m still waiting for, and I suspect I will have to keep on waiting, is for the improved images on my HDS to transfer to the sonarlog as well. I see no difference what so ever in sonarlogs with old transducers and AI-transducers, and I find that a bit strange.
    Given the clarity, especially for finding structure, HBs mega+ CHIRP transducers are extremely effective and hard to beat! Even scanning in water as shallow as 2ft deep and 250ft wide. Or in 100ft deep on down scan.
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjaymmman View Post
    Given the clarity, especially for finding structure, HBs mega+ CHIRP transducers are extremely effective and hard to beat! Even scanning in water as shallow as 2ft deep and 250ft wide. Or in 100ft deep on down scan.
    But it has very litle to do with chirp. Non-chirp transducers produce more or less the same quality images. Especially for structure, for fish chirp has its advantages.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    But it has very litle to do with chirp. Non-chirp transducers produce more or less the same quality images. Especially for structure, for fish chirp has its advantages.
    I'll agree to disagree. I've yet to see a non-chip side scan transducer produce the same quality as mega + while looking for structure. And the only way to do a somewhat fair comparison is to downgrade a HB or Garmin from Mhz to Khz so you can put Lowrance in the mix.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjaymmman View Post
    I'll agree to disagree. I've yet to see a non-chip side scan transducer produce the same quality as mega + while looking for structure. And the only way to do a somewhat fair comparison is to downgrade a HB or Garmin from Mhz to Khz so you can put Lowrance in the mix.
    That is frequency difference, not CHIRPing thru a range of frequencies. I think you may be able to select on bird 455khz only for example on a Mega unit, does anyone know for sure??

However , I also think that Chirping SS, DS is a benefit. I mean,, it won't make it worse, why not implement it.

19. Member
    Here's a question for you..... "you" being anyone that can answer it. Other'n the package telling you it has "Chirp Side scan" and "Chirp Down Scan". How do you know. The additional 400 kHz, 1,200 kHz vs 800 kHz, makes the difference. Structure Scan chirp is a fishermans placebo. 50% get better results.... 50% don't! Sugar pill! Hahahahaha....

Chirp side/down scan = Active Imaging!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    That is frequency difference, not CHIRPing thru a range of frequencies. I think you may be able to select on bird 455khz only for example on a Mega unit, does anyone know for sure??

However , I also think that Chirping SS, DS is a benefit. I mean,, it won't make it worse, why not implement it.
    HB has CHIRP 2D, CHIRP SI Mega +, and CHIRP DI Mega +. Additionally you can boost these with Switch fire mode (clear/max). And yes, you can turn CHIRP off and you'll notice the difference in detail, clarity, and range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast