Question Half Ton Truck Camper with a Boat

I have a Crew Max Tundra so I have the super short box (5.5 bed) I've found several truck bed campers that are designed for these half tons but it looks like I will probably need to add a leaf spring and probably air bags for stability so that I can have the extra weight and put the hitch extension on to tow the boat.
    Does anybody have experience with super short bed campers for half tons?

What do you have?
    Recommend?
    Air bags?
    Hitch Extension?

etc...

You will be maxed out plus some when you add equipment. I have a 2500 and it is loaded down with a lite truck camper and boat. Unless you are hauling very short distances I would recommend a 2500/250 truck minimum.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

3. Member
    You could carry a lighter camper and there are several designed for that bed. You’ll have to enhance your suspension just to carry the camper. Usually, if you intend to also add the tongue weight of a trailer after your camper is loaded, you’ll be way over the GVWR of your truck. It’s unsafe and illegal. If an accident happens you could get jammed up pretty bad. With both hauling and towing tasks together, you’ll want an HD truck.

I blew a tire with my HD 2500 and the truck camper on it .... it was an 8' bed model and was about all the truck would handle and pull a boat at the same time ... Your tires will probably be the weakest link. My tires were withing the load rating for what I was hauling .... but barely.

It's NOT fun blowing a tire with the camper on .... I now have a 1 ton dually. Don't risk the safety of you and your family .... and others on the road .... by seriously overloading the truck.

P.S. When I bought that camper the dealer told me it would be fine on a 1/2 ton truck. I thought I was going overkill with at HD 2500 .... NOT

Truck sales people will tell you the same thing ... then you go over a just look at the tire rating and see that there is no way that truck will haul the weight you just told them you were going to put on it.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Member
    I have a buddy that has a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab (not super cab) with a Palomino SS500 (I think) and he pulls a Triton TR21. He is 6'4" and comfortable. Really a good set up for a week or so.

Hi. Check out the Four Wheel Campers "Fleet" Model, or the new "project M". They are very well made, not cheap though. Lots of owners with Tundras. Full disclosure, we have a Hawk.

7. Member
    I also have a Tundra Crew Max. I did a ton of shopping around and finally settled. 2020 TravelLite RV. It weighs about 1600 pounds. I installed a Firestone air bag kit and a hitch extension and this thing rides like a dream. Pulled the whole set up at 75 with no issues.
    Setup.jpg

8. Member
    Look up what Dave Lefebre has, he has a cool setup.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34