Thread: 250xb

250xb

250xb started acting up a few weeks ago. Initially it would start up and run but on take off once on plane would shut down. Go back pump the bulb and could run for miles. If you shut down and fish for a couple hours same thing, had to go back and pump bulb and it would run as far as you wanted. But you had to pump the bulb every time if you didn't wanna shut down. Now I take it to lake and it seems to be just starving for fuel. It just bogs and wont even get on plane. About 8mph is all were getting. Rebuilt pulse pump and took it out same as before. Hooked up to ck fuel psi in garage and it reads 39psi while pump is running and the after pump stops psi starts dropping and within a minute it's down to 20psi without engine running. My next thought is regulator may be bypassing fuel. What are the ways to ck the regulator and order of diagnosing the fuel psi drop after the regulator?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just a reminder- be sure to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Sounds like you need to investigate the leak.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    There is still something wrong with the pulse pump, or you have air leaks, if pumping the primer bulb keeps it running.