Optimax 225hp oil pump labor time

I noticed oil leaking from the lower cowl and after doing some research here it was clear it was my oil pump leaking. I brought it to my mechanic who does top notch work and said I think my pump is leaking I can see it coming from the seal.

They replaced it, charged 2 hrs for replacing it and 1 hour time to diagnose the leak. I'm fine with the 2hr replacement time, but find the 1 hr diagnose charge a big odd since it was easy to see without removing anything but the cowl. Should I be upset/concerned or do mechanics normally check everything else to make sure it's JUST the pump leaking?

I've used this mechanic for 12 years and will continue to do so for now, but found this charge a bit odd. Am I wrong to think that way?

2. Member
    Did you ask the Tech to diagnose an "oil leak", or did you tell him to just "replace the oil pump"?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Catch-29. As consumers, we would all like to save that hour's labor and have him just take a 3 second look to say "yup- it's leaking from the oil pump".

But then when it has a leak from somewhere else also, and replacing the pump didn't resolve ALL leaks, we as consumers have a tendency to jump the gun a bit feeling like we just paid to fix an oil leak (when in fact, we didn't).

So the moral to the story is it's hard to have it both ways. I personally would rather have someone that takes the time to investigate to make sure that "Part X" is going to resolve the problem.

Just a reminder- be sure to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don is right on regarding this. I don't feel the total price is at all out of line for high quality work, esp this time of the year
    Thank You Leon Pugh