Few Questions for you BCB Owners

I spent a few days in a 2019 Cougar FTD with the Merc ProXS 4s this past week. I have always been interested in the BassCat brand, and I have an opportunity to buy this boat at the end of the season. Overall, I enjoyed the boat, but I have a few things to ask you guys.

The middle compartment between the 2 seats would catch on those seats when you were trying to open, or close it. We used the ice chest under that, instead of the one on the step, so we were opening it often. Is that normal?

How do you guys like the latches on the live wells, and the on the ice chest on the step? No doubt they lock em down well, but they just seem kind of bulky and hard to open/close quickly.

We had 3 in the boat, so it was a little crammed. (Any bass boat with 3 isn't that great), but the deck kind of shrunk with 5 rods on each side for sure.

I had always seen the up front trolling motor pedal placement, and I actually ended up liking that a lot. The location of the graph off to the right side was really nice too.

We were in some pretty rough water, and it handled it pretty well. Also, when that boat was up on pad, it turned very well. I was shocked with that.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

2. Member
    Wish I could add something, but I am waiting on my new Cat.

I'm running a Lynx, but had a Puma FTD with the same hull as the Cougar. My boat has the new latches, I like them a lot, no problems with them and BCB believes they will keep the livewells cooler. I've run that same cooler and box on 3 of my 4 Cats since '07, maybe it's just breaking in, I usually kept baits in the front cooler and used that one. That is a great hull, nimble, fast, with a big water ride. If you fish 3 most of the time, buy the Lynx or Caracal, just 2, the Cougar will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    I'm running a Lynx, but had a Puma FTD with the same hull as the Cougar. My boat has the new latches, I like them a lot, no problems with them and BCB believes they will keep the livewells cooler. I've run that same cooler and box on 3 of my 4 Cats since '07, maybe it's just breaking in, I usually kept baits in the front cooler and used that one. That is a great hull, nimble, fast, with a big water ride. If you fish 3 most of the time, buy the Lynx or Caracal, just 2, the Cougar will be good.
    95% of the time, I fish with 2. Thanks for the input.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

5. Member
    Got a 2017 Eyra / 250 ProXs, Personally I like the latches, keeps things form coming out at the wrong time. Never used the console between the seats for anything other than to place more junk ?!?!? I like the graph location very well, only thing that would be good, a bigger graph. Mines a shorter boat at 20.2 where you were in a 20.4, still handles that big water well and turns very quick!! Only caution, one must ease off a quicker coming in to load, I've shot by the no wake buoys a little "fast", opps!! No tickets … yet!

I've never used the cooler between the seats for anything but my trash. However, I have the older step box and no problems with it touching the sides of the seats. I really like the compression latches. I find it easer than popping up a latch and then turning it. Plus, it's not 150 degrees when you try to open it so no more burning fingers. With the front trolling motor placement, you actually have plenty of deck space. Ike normally has a ton of rods on the front deck and still has room to run around. Check out this on the BCB page https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...forum_id=58167

Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    I've never used the cooler between the seats for anything but my trash. However, I have the older step box and no problems with it touching the sides of the seats. I really like the compression latches. I find it easer than popping up a latch and then turning it. Plus, it's not 150 degrees when you try to open it so no more burning fingers. With the front trolling motor placement, you actually have plenty of deck space. Ike normally has a ton of rods on the front deck and still has room to run around. Check out this on the BCB page https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...forum_id=58167
    Thanks for the info, and link. I guess it's an older post, and the pics no longer show. (Even after registering)

This Cougar had the new fiberglass step in the middle of the seat. Not sure how old that option is.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

Quote Originally Posted by bCody View Post
    Thanks for the info, and link. I guess it's an older post, and the pics no longer show. (Even after registering)

This Cougar had the new fiberglass step in the middle of the seat. Not sure how old that option is.
    google the title and for some reason it shows after a google search. The fiberglass step came out this year. You can still get a fold down seat in the center but I personally wouldn't want that option.

Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    google the title and for some reason it shows after a google search. The fiberglass step came out this year. You can still get a fold down seat in the center but I personally wouldn't want that option.
    That worked. Thanks for that.

Crazy enough, I took the pics of Swindle and Walker while I was marshaling with them at Toledo Bend. Ironic!
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

Here are the images incorporated and that was without

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...on-t34617.html

https://basscat.com/forum/groups/basscatowner/rejuvenated-myths-about-decks-and-real-information/?forum_id=58167

11. Member
    The different style latches on the Cooler and Live wells are used to lower the extreme heat from the twist type during the summer heat. Trust me, the twist type (Sunco) get extremely hot during Louisiana summers. I wish I had the new type on my PII.

The forward TM position creates a better position for casting and flipping while giving you more space with poles on deck. After having BCB's for years, I fished out of my buddies new Nitro. Nice rig. But the TM set further back made me feel like I had to leave my fishing position on the boat to work the TM.

I have a PII and I usually keep about 6-8 rods on the front deck. I usually fish from the port side, so they are normally on the starboard side strapped down. If I think there may be an early top water bite, I will put my (top water) rods in the co-angler rod spot (if I'm alone). Once the bite dies, they go back in the rod locker. This is not an issue because all my rods are strapped on the starboard side.
    I used to keep a ton of rods on the deck. Now I just keep what I know I will be throwing.

I cant comment on the center storage hitting the seat. I have the carpeted step, and do not have that issue.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 06-14-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Member
    The only time I have an issue with the center box rubbing the seats in my Cougar is when my big rear end is in one of the seats causing it to bulge out. I can't speak to the new latches as I have an '09. I hope you join the BCB family.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    The only time I have an issue with the center box rubbing the seats in my Cougar is when my big rear end is in one of the seats causing it to bulge out. I can't speak to the new latches as I have an '09. I hope you join the BCB family.
    Same with my experience. No big deal really, my 05 seats have years of life left and my boat has only been garaged for less than 2 since new.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    I am assuming that this only occurs while you are sitting in the seats, and trying to open the new fiberglass step.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721