Sanibel Island Fishing

Vacationing at end of the month at Sanibel Island. Have some general questions on fishing in the area. I've bass fished for 35 years but am pretty clueless when it comes to saltwater!!

Anyway, hoping to catch a few snook (a tarpon would only be a bonus). Can snook be caught off the beach or better to fish the iinshore/backcountry areas? Preferable to using spinning reel and rod or is a good baitcaster reel acceptable? Have nearly a dozen freshwater baitcasters but can pickup something like the Lews Speed Spool Inshore if necessary. I know live bait is always good, any artificial lures that are recommended?

I'll be fishing from the shore unless I get adventurous and rent a kayak. A charter is a bit too cost prohibitive for one person. However, if anyone is going to be in the area fishing, vacationing or otherwise hit me up. Or can return the favor if anyone wants to fish the infamous Lake Guntersville.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

2. Member
    Snook fishing on the beach and passes will be in full swing, Tarpon roll off the beaches as well.
    From shore I would use live bait if possible and a reel that holds a lot of line. Usually 4-5000 series spinning with 20 -30# braid

3. Member
    First the bad news...Snook are catch-and-release only from the Pasco/Hernando county line south through Gordon Pass in Collier County, including all waters in Hillsborough County through Aug. 31, 2020, as a proactive measure due to impacts of red tide in this area. FWC will revisit this closure in early 2020 to determine if snook may be reopened to harvest earlier.

Now the good news. Snook, trout, and flounder can all be had off the beaches. As said before live bait, pinfish, shrimp, or cast net for what is around. Can also use cut bait if you catch some smaller fish first. Mornings, and early evenings will be your best bet. Forget about trying to fish from a kayak in the Gulf. You'll get blown all over, and driven in with the surf. If you do want to kayak in the backwater you'll have luck using shrimp, and small crab. Once again, cutbait would work there as well.

You can also travel a bit further south to Lover's Key where they is very good fishing if you get serious.

4. Member
    I’m only catch and release only. So no problem. Appreciate the info guys! Gives me a bit of an idea. Anybody else?
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

I lived and guided Pine Island Sound for nearly a decade. There is tons of fishing destinations all around the island. You will need to walk the beach to find the action, the bait balls can literally be within easy casting distance off the beach and predator fish follow along. Guides would take you by boat and cruise the beach looking for the one going off. You will know it when you see it. Point Ybel to Blind Pass offers your best opportunity for a Poon or shark, i believe the beaches north to Redfish pass are all private. Catch a ladyfish, 12” haywire twist and a sliding egg sinker, like a heavy carolina rig, and chunk her into tackle appropriate cubes. Cast it as far out as you can then wait for it to be eaten. I’de use an 8’ heavy spinning rod with 400 yards of 10/50 braid. You will most likely catch a nice shark but everything else will eat it too, including a Tarpon. Best chance at a Poon. Live lady, 5’ of 80# mono, no lead, free lined. You can use a popping bobber about 6’ up. Again, just wait for it to happen. Also, if your trip happens to fall during a Hill Tide...you need to pony up for a trip to Boca Grande Pass. My buddy guides out of Tween Water Resort. Hill tides always book out but you may get to double up. A single can easily double up on a big boat.

i just checked, Hill tide June 30 thru July 4th. I wouldn't miss it if I was in the area!

you will need to order a steak sandwich from the Pink Flamingo. Best sandwich and beer on the island...IMHO.
    Last edited by Finlander; 06-14-2019 at 06:37 PM.

6. Member
    Great info Finlander! Unfortunately I’ll be headed back north on the 29th. I had contacted quite a few local guides about shared charters but most don’t do them. I can understand that though.

Some of the things you mentioned are a little foreign to a lifetime bass angler lol. Sounds like a stop at one of the local bait stores first thing might be in order! I’ll at least need some appropriate gear. All mine is bass gear.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    Sounds like a stop at one of the local bait stores first thing might be in order! I’ll at least need some appropriate gear. All mine is bass gear.
    Salt water will totally ruin your fresh water bass gear but you can use saltwater rated gear in fresh water. Enjoy your trip.