Y Cable or Transducer

What is the most likely source of poor 2D returns . I have Helix 12 G2N, I have to run the unit on max mode with sensitivity cranked up to get any type of meaningful return and then its not great. Was in a boat last week that had Helix 12.. much better 2D than I ever see he had an external transducer . What is the correct in hull ducer for this unit? would I get better 2D with and external ducer? I am running 1.9 software. Current ducer and Y Cable are going on 5th season. Thanks

2. Member
    What release of software was he running?

3. Member
    Chances are if it worked properly when originally installed, then you're seeing the differences in the recent software changes as I think Jim may be indicating. The XP 9 20 in-hull transducer with the y-cable is generally preferred for DualBeam sonar. Some boats may require the external equivalent due to hull design or model boat. I have the XP 9 20 in-hull going on 6yrs now and haven't seen hardly any drop off in performance but don't put the hours on it that many would. The biggest change in 2D that I noticed was in upgrading to latest software and didn't matter if an external on TM or in-hull transducer.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    not sure which software he was running, it was a Gen 1 unit. I dont lose bottom just no detail in the picture like I used to get, it was already degraded with previous softw